I dunno.......

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rossbyjove

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
ONE
Was given a swarm a few weeks ago, it's now in my new hive.
Was told it was probably an unmated queen. Have resisted the overwhelming urge look inside since denucing them, given them some light syrup in a rapid feeder as the weather has been pretty crap. They have been taking the syrup, may have to give them some more.
Seen quite a few drones coming and going , so not sure if the queen has been mated.
Going to my local apiary on Sunday get some more hands on experience.
Probably open up next week , weather permitting.
If there are too many drone cells, should I requeen or is there still time for her to mate ?

If you got it a 'few' weeks ago you should have eggs by now. You need to look in and see what is going on. Sounds as though you are understandably a bit pensive about a first inspection so get some help! Good luck

Cheers for the quick reply.
I'm just doing what people have advised, leave them for a few weeks to settle in.
Not at all worried about opening them up, I would do it every day if I could but it's what is good for the Bees not just me.
Was going to open them up a couple of days ago but the weather has been bad.
I will get advice at the Apiary on Sunday weather permitting !

Cheers for the quick reply.
I'm just doing what people have advised, leave them for a few weeks to settle in.
Not at all worried about opening them up, I would do it every day if I could but it's what is good for the Bees not just me.
Was going to open them up a couple of days ago but the weather has been bad.
I will get advice at the Apiary on Sunday weather permitting !
Just go for it ... Open them up, if you have a dummy board in there take it out to make some space ... ignore any frames at the end where there will only be stores, just lever them along with your hive tool ... Look at the frames in the middle - just lift one up enough to see if there are any signs of brood ... if not, drop it back down and look at the next. Once you find some brood - stop - you have a mated queen.

Such inspections don't need to be invasive and won't unduly disturb the bees. Forget asking at the associaton - get in and do it now.....

Went to the apiary today just to make sure I knew what I was looking at/for.
Saw a Queen, eggs,larvae , capped brood and honey.
Got home , opened the hive up.
No Queen that I could find, no eggs, no larvae,no capped brood but a lot of honey !
They seem happy enough in spite of this.
What now ?

If they’re happy there may be a young queen in there. Is there any spare space?
When did whoever give it to you catch the swarm? It can take a while for a new queen to lay depending on the weather for mating.

Ah. Edit. A few weeks ago!
You need a test frame in there
Again. Is there any space for a queen to lay?

Went to the apiary today just to make sure I knew what I was looking at/for.
Saw a Queen, eggs,larvae , capped brood and honey.
Got home , opened the hive up.
No Queen that I could find, no eggs, no larvae,no capped brood but a lot of honey !
They seem happy enough in spite of this.
What now ?
Test frame. Ask the apiary if you can have one.

If they’re happy there may be a young queen in there. Is there any spare space?
When did whoever give it to you catch the swarm? It can take a while for a new queen to lay depending on the weather for mating.

Ah. Edit. A few weeks ago!
You need a test frame in there
Again. Is there any space for a queen to lay?
Yes there is plenty of space in there.
Was given the swarm on 9th May.
Saw the Queen briefly when I put them in the hive but making honey is all they are doing right now and it's in the middle frames, which is where the brood ought to be?
They don't read the books or do a course do they !!!

You don’t need a whole frame if that is an issue. Just a small piece cut out. OR put in a whole frame for three days then take it out and return it to the donor ( minus queen cells, of course)
To complicate matters a frame of brood will sometimes kick start a queen laying and not all queen less colonies will make emergency cells on the first test frame.

Well went to my local club apiary last Sunday and saw what I wanted to see , eggs, some queens, larvae and capped brood
I opened up my hive on Monday and saw what I needed to see.
Eggs, larvae and capped brood.
Did not see the Queen but must be in there somewhere.
Very calm bees.
Panic over.
Thanks for all the advice

Latest posts

Back