Hylaeus hyalinatus males in my garden

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kazmcc

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
None, although I have my eye on one ( Just don't tell Dusty ;) )
The Hylaeus males are back! Gorgeous little bees. Known as the yellow faced bees here in the UK but I prefer the Swedish name citronbin - lemon bees because of the faint lemon aroma they give off. This guy sat on my hand yesterday.

Attachments

• A58390DA-C979-47FB-A740-C21CC2E63E5C.jpeg
    A58390DA-C979-47FB-A740-C21CC2E63E5C.jpeg
    361.7 KB · Views: 41
Melliponella (stingless bees) range from very small to tiny. The ones they usually keep and manage for honey production are about ant size but some are so small they are more like gnats (and yes, some beekeepers keep these as well!!)

stingless bee closeup 2.jpg

Attachments

• stingless1.jpg
    stingless1.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 3
Fascinating. Thanks all.

I learn something new daily..

(and often forget it...age)

I usually spot them buzzing around the geranium and chives. They are only mms long but very busy, males checking the flowers for females in numbers. Lovely little things. The image above he is sat across my finger. There are loads of these tiny, easily missed bees here in the UK.

Fascinating. Thanks all.

I learn something new daily..

(and often forget it...age)

I know that feeling! I'm thrilled that people here are interested. I joined the forum as a scared newbie a long time ago and have grown somewhat since then. Very pleased to be able to give something back :)

Latest posts

Back