Hungarian newbie in Scotland

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vartusmeister

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi everyone,

I am a fairly new beekeeper, started the actual hobby 1 and a half years ago, currently managing 2 full-size and one nucleus colony, as it seems (for now at least), all overwintered.

Although there were elderly family members in Hungary who had bees for decades, I pretended to be too busy to take up the hobby. Anyways, here I am now, living in Scotland since 2012 and I am the one who continues the beekeeping in the family, even if it is a bit far away from the original region.

My first full year of beekeeping was a half success: I managed to overwinter my initial nucleus colony (sourced from local BKA, led by a Colonsay AMM), but I moved the poor creatures to a full-sized hive too early in March, resulting a fantastic proportion of chilled brood. Then again, successfully did a split in late May because I desperately wanted to increase, but once the rain started in June, it never stopped, so the queen became poorly mated, soon superseded. And I got a small swarm of very yellow bees which were clustered close to my apiary at the beginning of August.

I also harvested 4 kilos of honey for my own consumption.

I learnt a lot from my own mistakes and also from the talks provided by different associations. I regularly read the forum but did not ask or tell anything yet, better if I keep my mouth shut until I cannot say anything constructive :)

Hope that time will come soon...

Until that: happy beekeeping for everyone and keep posting, I read a lot!

Hi I agree with previous post, the Apiarist has been very helpful for me by reading his blog as until very recently he was located 3 miles from my apiary, I’m alosmbased in FIFE and we have a good couple of associations that cover West and East FIFE and they both mix and match meetings ect during Covid lots of online resources and presentations still available

Latest posts

Back