How would you experts do it?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kazmcc

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
None, although I have my eye on one ( Just don't tell Dusty ;) )
We intend to eventually have 3 colonies in our bee garden plot. We want them in the enclosure area where the present hive is. Some pictures of the area are below. Hopefully you will be able to tell the size from the pictures I've posted. I have seen hives close together in pictures before, and I understand that if you have the entrances all face slightly different ways, that stops drifting, but how would we establish a new colony here. It was suggested that we put the new colony on another members plot, but then with the under 3ft - over 3 miles rule, we would struggle to move them back to the garden. Any ideas?

Were are the new colonies coming from? If not the existing one then no issue.

If from the existing one then a stuff of grass is the way to go.

PH

I can't see the need to put the new colony on another plot, then move it.

Just put it where you want it.

I have 3 WBC's spaced about 2 feet apart, and no problems.

Most of the beeks local to me recommend approx. 6 feet between hives (if you've got the space!)

I built my hive stands to take two hives if needed - mainly to allow me to easily swap to a new floor brood box etc. in the Spring or to sit a Nuc alongside a full colony. I also allows me to set the roof alongside the hive when doing inspections and it thus sits at a nice working height.

Ah, yes, I've seen double stands before....I didn't think of that. They would be taken from our existing colony......unless a sneaky swarm flies our way which is highly unlikely, and if it did, it would belong to the other beeks on the allotments and we'd have to give it back.

I was pushing for 6" this year with all the nucs I built up:banghead:

I think it was in Ted Hoopers book I saw a Bee Shed with a lot of hives, all stacked on top of each other, just painted differing colours.

I think I would be tempted to put them all together with the first but on one big '5' colony long stand so that there is room between hives to stack parts as you inspect. The end hives can face out and the front one forward but perhaps also use some small high contrast pattern panels above entrances to help orientation and reduce drift. With 3 colonies though I would think about some 2m green mesh around the apiary (rather than the picket fence) because your bee traffic in a fairly busy public area is ultimately going to increase significantly from this years levels which have resulted from a single semi-mature colony. Best to get them above head height quickly.

Edit: my stands are 60" long, space between two hives for parts stacking during inspection and a 'split' if you need it (3 stands in place target 4 live hives)

Last edited:
Ah, yes, I've seen double stands before....I didn't think of that. They would be taken from our existing colony......unless a sneaky swarm flies our way which is highly unlikely, and if it did, it would belong to the other beeks on the allotments and we'd have to give it back.

A swarm belongs to whoever gets it in a box.

Must say Kaz, I'm impressed with your tidy site. I'm embarrased to put a pic of mine here now.

Kaz, you've plenty of room to put two more hives in that fenced area as long as they're >2ft apart, drifting isn't a problem in an enclosed site like yours.

I must say that building a cocktail bar (LH on first photo) brings a new level of sophistication to modern Beekeeping!

If you get a swarm I'd keep your mouth shut about it, because somebody might say it was thiers even if it wasnt....

Kaz, I'm sure your bees will be proud to be sited anywhere in such a nice plot!
Seriously I wouldn't worry about them. Eastern European beeks have stacks of hives kept on lorries, with just a different colour frontage to distinguish them rather than spacing them apart... bees can cope with much more close neighbours than yours will be having. There's some great examples here:
http://www.thehoneygatherers.com/html/ataglance_4.html

:coolgleamA:If you wanted to make an educational point about the bees each having their own home hive, you could decorate the front of each hive differently. The bees might not notice, but it would look really cool!

I must say that building a cocktail bar (LH on first photo) brings a new level of sophistication to modern Beekeeping!

Lol, it doubles as a barbeque too. We had an event there this weekend with food cooked on there. It was great seeing it full of people and the bees just getting on with their thing, not giving us all a second glance. We had an apple press brought down ( borrowed ) so everyone kept disappearing off for their wind fall lol. The kids use it too as an outdoor classroom. The rest of the pics are on my albums if you fancy a proper tour :D

We had an event there this weekend with food cooked on there.

PLEASE, PLEASE, please Karen - If I'm good can I come next time??

Hi

Here is one of my allotment apiaries yesterday.

Just stick them in. It doesn't really matter and you can still A/S them.

Good luck. :)

Latest posts

Back