How to use 80% acetic acid?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dickbowyer

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Some hives and a few nucs
Despite freezing super frames with drawn comb, have been affected by wax moth damage. Maybe I put them in the freezer too late? Last weekend had talk from bee inspector who suggested stacking supers with frames and putting a half filled jam jar at the bottom containing 80% acetic acid to kill wax moth larvae/eggs and to fumigate supers. Two questions, should there be newspaper between supers or not and should the 80% acetic acid be at the top or bottom of the stack?

i would say jar at the top and no newspapers if you are going to use that approach, but have a board top and bottom of the stack then leave alone

https://secure.thorne.co.uk/popup/aceticacid.htm

Also it can make any wires in the foundation go black and ruin them,i gave up on acetic years ago,finding just a teaspoon of sulphur,burnt, to a stack of supers/broods to be much more effective,cheaper,and no damage to wires.

Acetic would not work to well in this cold weather,but the freezing weather will kill any larvae anyhow,if supers are stored outside.

Last edited:
Hivemaker,

Acetic would not work to well in this cold weather

Too true it won't. It freezes at 16 degrees Celsius.

Certainly leaving it fumigating all the time will exacerbate the wire problem as well. I, like you, mostly use sulphur - except I bought some 'sulphur strips' for making the fumes (still 'cheap as chips' compared to leaving them until they are wax moth damaged) and, as you say they probably won't need doing for a few weeks now, what with these freezing conditions, which makes it cheaper than any other method!

Ethanoic is a good option if the frames need fumigating against other disease (nosema), so would normally get a dose, even if only as a precaution.

Regards, RAB

Too true it won't. It freezes at 16 degrees Celsius.

I know it does....thought it was most strange the first time i ever saw this,and it had gone solid in the bottle, on a summers day.....

Never saw damage to the frame wiring but I cross brace with stainless.

I was taught it fumes down from above so the lecturer here was arguably a litle confused.

Yes it forms crystals at a medium temp, but on a warm day it is seriously pungent.

A useful tool but like all tools to be treated with respect. And this one is better used away from the house and garden. The neighbours may not appreciate the chippie aroma...

PH

Not talking about cross bracing wires of stainless,but Thornes ready wired,with most of the wires exposed,ie not embedded at all well.

Rab

Where do you buy the sulphur strips?

Peter

Latest posts

Back