how to store wet supers - ants/mice/damp

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 hives
So having some building work done so my bee room is being taken away so I have to store a stack of wet supers

they have been treated with certan equivalent so ok with respect to wax moth

but worried going into the garage they might attract mice or ants

what do people do ... wrap them in double bin bags and stack ?

Stack on solid bottom with solid top and ratchet straps the lot.
E

same as above but with a layer of visqueen between each box as extra security.

I stored my stack over winter as described above, but using wallpaper/lining paper (thick and cheap) to separate boxes. I also made some square trolley things so I can move the stacks about.

Mice in the garage, so traps dotted about.

I stored my stack over winter as described above, but using wallpaper/lining paper (thick and cheap) to separate boxes. I also made some square trolley things so I can move the stacks about.

Mice in the garage, so traps dotted about.

nice one folks ...

so ant powder around the stack to provide a spring/summer option until they are all out on the hives ?

Last edited:
Stack them up in the bedroom and sleep in the garage.

Stack on solid bottom with solid top and ratchet straps the lot.
E

Yes above: and stored on hive stands...outside...

As they’re wet frames, don’t they drip honey on your car?

They're in plastic bags to keep all together and stop dust getting on them. Also keeps them just above head height.
Car in garage? Don't mention that to my car. I've kept it outside for 15 years and always say, 'Thank you' when it starts. If it thought that it could sleep in the garage it might refuse to start when left out in the cold.

so now got my big stack of Dipel treated supers in the garage

Just given them another splash of the marmite smelling Dipel spray as clearly I missed a few ... or larvae emerged and werent happy

is that larvae poop ?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VmaTqgndPPRztY5E9

anyway a lesson to me to give them a few treatments and eyeball them every so often

If you still have larvae then I would consider a sheet of plastic between each box. That way if you lose one you won't lose the lot.

yeah caught it just in time I think ... or maybe didnt give enough Dipel in the sprayer

point noted about the crownboard every so often too !

Latest posts

Back