How to store 100’s of frames over winter?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cobbydaler

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
My bee yard has grown massively this year. And it suddenly occurred to me that come winter I will have to store 300 + super frames.
many suggestions ???? Thanks

My bee yard has grown massively this year. And it suddenly occurred to me that come winter I will have to store 300 + super frames.
Blimey you must have 30 supers on your single hive!!!

I made a rack out of 4x2 with ply on top, off the ground on bricks. I stack supers in piles of 12 with separating membrane ever few supers. I then strap them to the rack.
Sorry the pic is not good.IMG_0707.jpg

Nowhere near as many supers, only about a dozen (at least until the Maisie's sale ;) ), but I do similar to Newbeeneil. I stack mine on top of my folding stands, with a square of ply closing the bottom. I put a sheet of correx between every 2-3 supers (just in case of wax moth), and a roof or upturned gravel tray on top, all strapped together.

store them wet, in their supers stacked up with an OSB blanking board top and bottom then all cinched up tight with a couple of ratchet straps.
Then either kept in an open sided shelter or outside with a spare roof on top

That is only about 20 boxes, if not self spacing - mostly shallows I’m guessing. One can store empty boxes under (or even over) colonies - as long as all the hive boxes are held together securely and thought is applied to the arrangement of those extra boxes and insulation. If leaving boxes with frames on/under hives, they will unlikely be troubled by wax moth if only, say, 5 or 6 frames are left in them (well spread out).

Two or more long rails in a sealed room. It is easy to slide them along the rails to check them. Works for me

store them wet, in their supers stacked up with an OSB blanking board top and bottom then all cinched up tight with a couple of ratchet straps.
Then either kept in an open sided shelter or outside with a spare roof on top
Works well this; had a few boxes full of mould and pondered throwing them away, as a test stuck them on a few strong hives and they were pristine in days.

Latest posts

Back