how to retrieve these

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveJ

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Got a call to some bees in a nearby graveyard. Some comb had fallen off a colony and landed on the ground. Lots of bees everywhere etc etc. When I got there the bees had cleaned the stores out of the comb. Looked into the tree and was presented with the attached picture. Any thought on how to retrieve it? I was thinking long pole and a pillowcase. Its about twenty feet up and about a foot accross.

I would assume that in the position they are in they wouldn't survive the winter.

SteveJ

What an interest challenge.

You might get it into a pillow case on the end of a long pole but the laws of mechanics may then get a bit in the way. The colony could weigh at least 10kgs and possibly more. It depends how many stores they have.

If you wanted to have a go then you may be able to put a rope over the branch by the colony and then pull up what fishermen would call a "drop net" which you could make out of an old bicycle rim with a sack tied round the rim - or just make a rim from wire. If you had two ropes you could have one either side of the colony. This would ensure the net/bag came up underneath the colony.

Pull the net up to the colony and then somehow cut/push the combs off using long pole with perhaps a knife tied to the end.

An alternative approach might be to try and get them to abscond perhaps by holding something burning and smoking underneath them and then hoping they swarm off and you can catch them when they cluster.

Main problem is it is late in the year for them to re-establish themselves.

Other options could be a Bee-Vac with a long hose but it wouldn't get between the combs. You could even just cut the combs off one by one and hope the queen survives the fall.

Whatever you do it will be entertaining and require good protection though I suppose the residents of the site will be safe enough.

Might be better to build a roof over their heads! (The bees that is)

Last edited:
I would be very careful at that height. Know anyone with a cherry-picker? Or a cage on a teleporter? Trap foragers with some of their comb at ground level?
Take a chance with the rest of the comb as it loooks far too exposed to withstand the rigours of a winter. Good luck.

Regards, RAB

Do you know anyone with some tower scaffolding ?

Darren.

:iagree:

Work safely. Taking the comb, and upsetting the bees is bad enough without trying to balance on a branch etc.

Yes as with Darren a tower scaffold will do the job but safety first

as bad as it sounds wait for someone to die and when they are digging the grave use the digger as a access platform by reversing the bucket it should get you comfortable 12/15 ft off the ground and then polesaw the branch off while having it also tied to another close branch so its doesnt plumit to the ground it looks like oak so this should be ok
the other thing you can do is drive a van under the tree gets you 8ft stand on van gets you 4 ft use chainsaw attachment for strimmer another 10ft drop the branch
failing that pay a 8 year old to climb the tree

Some members of a local climbing club may help.

Hey Steve let us know what happened, did you manage to get them down?

bees in tree

This is how we got my swarm - Italians are crazy - 2 ladders lashed together and rested into a fork in the nearest branch. at least 40ft up.

how about a group of beeks suited up underneath with a large outstretched sheet and another person with a lopper to cut off the branch they are on?

Last edited:
This is how we got my swarm - Italians are crazy - 2 ladders lashed together and rested into a fork in the nearest branch. at least 40ft up.

It makes my legs go wobbly just looking at that ladder :eek:

Darren

Got some better pics today. Planning on performing operation tommorrow. Got a nice note from council giving me permission to remove them. You can see on the last pic where the comb that fell off that started all this. Think I can reach them with a long pole and pillow case.

a couple of vines and leopardskin trunks required...

I think you will have a hard job removing it with a pole ond a pillow case. (hope you prove me wrong). How are you going to cut the comb off with the pole? It will be quite well attached and if there are stores in there quite heavy.

Latest posts

Back