How to open smokers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helen

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
Enough
I can never manage to easily open smokers, especially when they are hot and need a top-up. The tops always seem to weld onto the bases, and need levering off - not easy if the funnel is hot.

I've tried ensuring the mating parts are spotlessly clean. I've tried putting in copper slip. nothing seems to work.

So, how do you manage to make your smoker lids open easily, esp when hot? What's your secret sauce?

I never fully shut mine helen....kind of let it smoke randomly about the place and have a water squirter at the ready incase...

Are you using a fuel that creates a lot of tar and soot. If so that may not help the situation. I've started using old cotton towels cut up. They smoke well and leave fewer deposits. Can easily open the smoker.

Use such fuel that it does not make tar. It glues the smoker.

Egg package cartong is goog smoke stuff.

Dont press it against your beesuit while levering the top off, I have burned a few suits doing just that

I clean my smoker rim with a blowtorch occasionally to char all the resin and then chip off the brittle residue with a hive tool .Then wire brush it and coat the rim with Copperease or similar (a motoring grease impregnated with copper.) That lasts for about 3-4 smokings and makes the rim/top slide more easily together..Then repeat.

Messy jobs.. vinyl gloves essential..

Would try a silicone grease but it's much more expensive.

I use the ring- pull tab on the top of the smoker to open it as shown in picture below.
Only problems I ever had was when I was using tarry smoker fuel (pine cones/soft wood shavings) and the tar residue would glue the lid shut when cold and set.

Dadant_Smoker-02_large.jpg

I use the ring- pull tab on the top of the smoker to open it as shown in picture below.
Only problems I ever had was when I was using tarry smoker fuel (pine cones/soft wood shavings) and the tar residue would glue the lid shut when cold and set.

Dadant_Smoker-02_large.jpg

that's similar to mine so was going to say the same thing, I only use touchwood these days and find it much cleaner.

Only ever use cedar wood shavings here, smokers are used every day from early spring until October and never need cleaning as they never tar up.

Only ever use cedar wood shavings here, smokers are used every day from early spring until October and never need cleaning as they never tar up.

You need new challenges!

A man should learn every day something new about his smoker!

I always manage to pull the ring off. In have had to modify them with much stronger versions! I find that the bulbous type of smokers have much less tight fit lids. I never leave the lid closed when I have emptied it. Always store it with the lid open.
E

Mine is an old etna type body with an empire type spout stuffed on, it gets stuck. It's not a big deal, I shove a screwdriver blade between both parts and twist.

I've a new smoker so I don't have this problem. Yet!

I use a combination of dried grass, sawdust, and slivers of wood (scrap from my table saw).

It's a new smoker, but seems to gunge up quickly. Even hammering / levering it with hive tool takes time to get the damned thing open.

trying to open it with the small hook just bends the hook.

I'll try cleaning it more often, leaving it open when cool, and wire-brushing the top after every use.

Try really rotten dry wood for fuel.

Or try some quiet bees which don't require smoking, both will work. :)

PH

Latest posts

Back