how to move a wbc hive?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sticky propolis

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I have purchased a colony in a WBC hive (they come as a package) to replace my lost winter stocks and I really would like to know the best way to transport it as I have been told it is tricky!!
I have a trailer and straps and foam for the entrance...but no real idea of the best method.
I am transporting it about 50 miles - any ideas??

Remove the roof, lifts and c/b, fit travelling screen,strap whole lot together,box's to floor,make sure there are no other gaps,then block entrance with foam in evening when bee's have stopped flying or early morning before they are out.
Load up so frames are parallel to direction of travel,strap into trailer so they don't bounce around to much.
If they are not super strong and the floor is open mesh then traveling screen would not be needed.

Last edited:
"colony in a WBC hive (they come as a package)" - who supplies these?

I have purchased a colony in a WBC hive (they come as a package) to replace my lost winter stocks and I really would like to know the best way to transport it as I have been told it is tricky!!
I have a trailer and straps and foam for the entrance...but no real idea of the best method.

After reading hivemakers post I recon the best way to move a wbc hive about 50 miles would be to get hivemaker to move it

As Hivemaker recommends and perhaps a few battens of timber and screw it together for a belt and braces approach.

As hive maker says.

I have moved glens in the past by stuffing sacking in the entrance and driving carefully. Glen = larger WBC.

Keep your speed to 40 tops.

It's pretty straightforward.

PH

My question would be: What car?

Better, if it can be loaded into the car than onto a trailer. The lifts, roof and supers are OK on the trailer, but for the colony my first choice would be in the car even, if it needed to be shoe-horned in. Other wise drive steadily with the tailer.

Only you know the route and the likely state of the roads. It may be good, if towed, that the trailer is reasonably loaded to suppress the 'bouncing tendency' (if it suffers that at light loads).

Alternatively, swap them into a National(?) brood, make firewood of the WBC for easy transporting (just joking) and do it that way! Timing might be a problem - change them over late in the day to catch flying bees.

Regards, RAB

Latest posts

Back