How to make yourself a welcome guest in a B&B or Guest house

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poly Hive

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
Don't try to book after 9pm, your hosts have a life too.

Ask when you can arrive. Avoid arriving early as your hosts are NOT expecting you before the earliest check in time.

Ask when breakfast is, don't say I want it at 9-30.

Ask if you can eat in the room. Accept a no politely and ask if you can use the breakfast room instead.

Don't talk on you moby at breakfast, who else cares about your conversation so apply some consideration.

If you have an allergy or intolerance or are veggie or vegan let your hosts know in advance. We have asked many if they are and they say no and then say yes in the morning..... which throws a huge spanner in a breakfast routine.

If you need help then ask for it, but do consider the time you are asking at, your hosts do have a life too.

Apply the above and you will be a far more welcome guest.

PH

Welcome to the human race!! At least your guests don't throw the food at you and pee on the floor - or call you names- to your face. Love 'em all! :grouphug:

Caring for Joe Public can be exasperating- and rewarding. I looked after elderly for 20 years- finally crumbled:svengo:- but still enjoyed the experience over the years- more laughs than tears...

20 years of feeding soup ?

You have a book in you Heather..

Soup! Never seen people eat so much- especially roasties...
Yes, wish I had taken notes.. when one flooded the bedroom (just newly opened that week) because she wanted to feel cool- newspapers across a floating carpet so she had a cold path back to bed where she lay in hypothermia!! We first realised when water came down kitchen walls.
She also used to pretend to be ill with pain - funny that red M&M's cured her -to the amazement of a full dining room (25) of formally sympathetic friends.

Another I had to follow up the road to retrieve as she took her hot water bottle for a walk- said it was her mother.
A chap who got a train ride back to his original home -no money- BR took pity on him!!! He had no idea how he got home but he did...daughter not impressed..

One lady who used to leg it regularly so we took her shoes away hoping it would keep her in doors as we were not allowed to tag her or lock a door- she went to a local McDonalds- no shoes- 2 lads bought her a meal as they felt sorry for the 'tramp'.(she was nicely dressed)

Fetching teeth out of drains- hearing aids out of Steradent...being bitten- men who ought to know better giving you an early morning 'surprise' :eek:

P.H. you are having it easy:party:

And no time to write a book - I keep bees

Last edited:
20 years of feeding soup ?

You have a book in you Heather..

From what I have heard it gets a lot worse than feeding soup and I think Heather is holding back on some of the less pleasant jobs to be wiped.

That goes with the job- there to help those that cannot help themselves.
To sit with someone who is in their final days can be very rewarding too.

Had 2 homes- 60 residents 80 staff- retired early- to keep what little sanity I had left!

I think PH should go on one of them TV programs like "The Hotel Inspector" or "Three in a bed" :lurk5:

No Jim for two reasons.

One is no time.

2nd is they insist on the Tourist board inspector. We are self assessed at three stars, and the standards across the various boards are frankly a joke, I am not venting as it is not an axe that we carry but for instance...

One board says no one can be 4 crowns with out all the rooms being en-suite.

Another board gives 5 crowns to a business with NO en-suites....

Level eh?

Further the TB is nothing these days but another web site, and after we dipped a toe in their waters when we first started we checked with arrivals to see who had used the TB as a source. Not one. And not one since that we know of. So why do they get all that money?

We are on some 40 web sites, and between that and Trip Advisor and word of mouth we do pretty well.

PH

:chillpill::rant:

Just wait till I come and stay at your B&B and list of "special" requirements I give you will be nothing compared to the above

Last edited:
Special requirements are no problem, though we did draw the line at the fishermen who were so up their a888s about the security of their tackle they wanted it in the newly refurbished room... err no.

PH

My special requirements are best known to Wayne Rooney..

it just goes to show , how much of a better and bigger man you are and how staint like heather was, on the building sites we all address the public and treat them like sheep because there so flippin dumb at times and my idea of a clients special requst is to listen to it and to try awfully hard not to laugh and then tell them tough luck.

i had 8 months dealing with tourists from around the world in the early 80's and would never ever go any where near anything like that again, sorry but the realy do, do my head in.

i did notice that poly hive does not mind if you sit in the dinning room and throw food or comments to the staff, and what about dribbling tea whilst eating .lol

Latest posts

Back