how to make a wasp catcher

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian wallace

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi Guys does anyone know how to make a wasp catcher that is safe for bees?

As below, the top cover is important to stop bait dilution when it rains. The key is to ensure you have a fermented / acidic / protein / sugar bait that attracts the wasps and not the bees (oranage juice, sugar, vinegar, dob of pet food -shake it all up). Fundamentally the trap would catch bees as easily as wasps, hence the 'tuned' bait liquid. These are still in use and 18 months old now! Empty and 're-gaffa'as required. Right hand example is the better design, roof is integral and so trap can be freestanding or suspended.
Suggest you search the forum for detail, there is loads on this subject.

Last edited:
After reading the chicken murder story I might try this to keep the wasps at bay as there seem to be plenty around

I can't take anymore wasp paranoia!!!!!!!!!!

What stung you into that response? sorry that last comment might just have bounced you into the need for full therapy......... would you like to talk about it?

Wasps are evil, pointless, horrible, agressive, miserable, stinking things so the more traps the better..........

They've got a liking for my bald patch:conehead:

Maybe if there were more wasps we wouldn't chuck so much pesticide over our so-called 'countryside'.

Thanks for the picture Rosti.

Last year I only had a minor problem with wasps, as my colonies were able to defend themselves.
After seeing one of my nuc's today being robbed out I will be making a wasp trap. The remaining bees seemed almost motionless covering two frames with stores above them and no wasps but there was very little stores left on the other frames. Its not a pretty sight seeing 10+ wasps fighting to get in and out of narrow entrance and well over 20 inside robbing the stores on the 3 other frames. As I lifted out a couple of frames the floor was littered with cappings and dead bees and a few wasps so they must of tried to defend themselves before they became over run.

I'm not to sure what I can do to prevent the wasps from getting in but reduce the entrance down to a single bee space and fit a QE in the hope the wasps can't squeeze through it or as suggested make a mesh tunnel sideways over the normal entrance..

If anyone has any other suggestions please post them.

I've said it before and here it is again.

About the only thing that will stop them, once they have unfettered access, is more bees, lots more bees. Otherwise that colony is doomed. As you say they are over-run

Regards, RAB

Wasps are evil, pointless, horrible, agressive, miserable, stinking things so the more traps the better..........
They've got a liking for my bald patch:conehead:

Well sorry I have to disagree with you there, Yes they are an issue to our bees, I found this thread whilst looking for traps as I now have an issue big time with them coming into house;

HOWEVER they eat afids and grubs and I have even seen them tackle cattapilars that my chickens wont touch.

EVERYTHING in nature is there for a reason. yes they smart when they sting, but have you ever looked at a wasp nest in detail? WOW they are stunning pieces of engineering I couldnt build a house let alone a sculpture like their each year!

Well sorry I have to disagree with you there, Yes they are an issue to our bees, I found this thread whilst looking for traps as I now have an issue big time with them coming into house;

HOWEVER they eat afids and grubs and I have even seen them tackle cattapilars that my chickens wont touch.

EVERYTHING in nature is there for a reason. yes they smart when they sting, but have you ever looked at a wasp nest in detail? WOW they are stunning pieces of engineering I couldnt build a house let alone a sculpture like their each year!

Before I started keeping bees, we had wasp nests most years in different locations, but always in the loft. In the Winter, I used to collect the nest which was stuck to a rafter and I'd bring it down to admire for a few days until it fell apart. They are fantastic little things!

I used to think that wasps were a necessary part of the ecology and had as much right to live as we do. Now I have bees, I hate them!

Incidentally, I hate rabbitts more because they eat my seedlings!

Wasps bother me and my apples more than my bees.

Been wondering, would wind fall apples work as something to tempt the wasps away from the hive? Surely soft rotting fruit is easier pickings than a hive of grumpy bees.

The thought occurred to me to the other day as i picked my way across rotting apples smothered in wasps.

Maybe a few apples dotted around the hive at a safe distance would divert their attention?

Just a thought anyway :confused:

Latest posts

Back