How to keep queens in cages till weather improves

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sianerw

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
I'm expecting 2 new queens tomorrow ( post permitting ). The weather forecast for tomorrow is atrocious, much better on Wednesday. I know about giving them some water, but where should I put them overnight in their cages? Warm kitchen in a box? Hopefully then on Wednesday one would be introduced to a feisty, hopelessly queenless colony, and the other one put in a nuc with brood frames, stores and nurse bees.

Warm kitchen in the cupboard, the tiniest smear of water to form a window on one of the grids on cage. I’d put them in regardless of weather unless it’s bucketing down.

Thank you all for your suggestions! Who knows, it might be sunny and calm! If not, I can keep them safe till wednesday.

Bank them in supers works ok, generally though if I'm struggling for colonies I'll remove a top brood from a nuc, place on floor and insert queen, if not the final destination leave tag attached.
We run nucs with multiple broods and split off to make further colonies, works great in our system as we can have multiple frame types on a single colonie, only downside is we are constantly drip feeding to stimulate brood.
we have four frame types currently.

Latest posts

Back