How to identify laying workers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael ECB's

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Not Enough yet.
Hopefully pics below will help some of the newer B-keeps identify this potential problem.
Perhaps not the best pics but in my opinion show the signs of what to look for....
The below frames have "salvaged Comb" in from old cut-outs. These were used in a box to house a forced abscond... (Using trap out cone - one way gate)
We believe the queen swarmed and left leaving behind a large portion of the workers...
Trap box was left for so long as workers were bringing in pollen and nectar as if rebuilding the colony.. All seamed well//// WRONG!

Attachments

• 20201111_170226.jpg
    20201111_170226.jpg
    984.1 KB · Views: 48
  • 20201111_170405.jpg
    20201111_170405.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 45
  • 20201111_170543.jpg
    20201111_170543.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 39
So I see the scattered drone brood, a bit hard to see multiple eggs. Are there other things I should spot?

Or died of starvation with the last few remaining bees
Very old and established colony in a wall. Our colonies here usually have ample stores - several seasons worth...
I have had a swarm move into an old tractor tyre and would like to believe this was her... + - 300 M away.
Will get around to catching when I get some time...

Unfortunately, this was a swarm that had to go, was in our dairy wall around the steel I-beam pillar.... we were unable to break away bricks and had to seal up after this. as staff were getting stung. Sometimes you just dont win them all....

But at least we try and will continue doing so...

So I see the scattered drone brood, a bit hard to see multiple eggs. Are there other things I should spot?
I usually see two or 3 eggs in cells, even stuck to the side wall.... Whats stands out most is the scattered drone brood,,, I believe some workers frantically try and remove eggs being layed by workers but simply cant keep up, this results in the scattered brood...
This one in particular carried on as if nothing was wrong,,, collecting nectar and pollen as if nothing was wrong.. ???

:iagree:
Not a pretty sight though.

Great Pic Mr Palmer....
Thanks for sharing...

Not a sight you want to see when inspecting frames... :(

Latest posts

Back