How to cut Kingspan?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Talking about kingspan {celotex} and the like I opened the hive today to quickly put in some more fondant and noticed condensation between the lower two sheets of kingspan.
I have 4 layers of 25mm and now I've seen condensation forming I am going to rip off the aluminium foil except for the top to avoid this "due point".
If you've stacked layers of insulation and you get condensation between them you just need to prevent air from getting between the sheets. You should seal the edges with tape and/or encapsulate the lot with medium gauge polythene sheet.

How are you getting moisture above the crownboard?
Is the roof leaking?
No the roof isn't leaking but ive just realised that I have removed the crown board and put the kingspan with the cut out for the fondant straight onto the top of the brood box frames?.
Do you think this may be the problem? I will wait till the weather warms a bit and replace the crown board back where it should be
under the insulation. Thanks for that.

Cleanest cut without any dust is with a sharp knife like a stanley but you need to cut both sides of board (top and bottom). I use a crown board to mark it and then flat straight edge as guide. You need to cut the full length or width of the insulation board first and snap off then cross cut to size, i.e. don't try and cut out a corner of the board in one go.

No the roof isn't leaking but ive just realised that I have removed the crown board and put the kingspan with the cut out for the fondant straight onto the top of the brood box frames?.
Do you think this may be the problem? I will wait till the weather warms a bit and replace the crown board back where it should be
under the insulation. Thanks for that.
Yes that’s it.

... reading the comments about dust ...

Once in front of a house in my street I saw a man spray-painting his car, and to keep the paint spray out of his lungs, he had on not a filter mask, but an absolute classical cloth mouth-and-nose gag straight from a crime comic, complete with the noise when he tried to talk through it. It is the only time I have seen a man gagged, except in films etc.

I read that around Runcorn in Cheshire in England in the early 19th century when chemical industry was starting, workmen had to work gagged for long periods to keep caustic sodium carbonate dust out of their lungs.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back