How to cut Kingspan?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterbees

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Any tips on how to cut various thicknesses of Kingspan please? I've been cutting 25mm sheet with a Stanley knife and a steel straightedge, not easy to keep a straight line.

I use hand saw to cut the sheets into manageable sizes then my sliding circular saw it make accurate cuts. I have used a circular saw and a guild rail as well. The sliding circular saw is ideal for cutting out pockets for fondant.

Just cut it with a long blade saw if thick stuff and a long blade knife if not so thick!

I use a jig saw and a fask mask.

I use a SHARP hand saw and a block of wood about 50mm tall to act as a guide to keep the saw vertical on 50mm and above thicknesses. Block attached to sheet by clamps for long cuts. dust mask. Cut on a Workmate set to about 1 meter above the ground.

Use a knife for 25mm thick sheet.

Best use a face mask, however it's cut.

While i would agree if making dust, but such blanket comments clearly ignore cutting with a knife, which makes no dust at all. 25mm can easily be cut in one dtroke with a rigid blade; 50mm is best with a couple of strokes, or more, to avoid the knife tip wandering off course (non-perpendicular cuts); 100mm needs several strokes - I usuall cut a bit to get a line, then plunge-cut to ensure a perpendicular cut.

If you are not safe with a sharp knife or are insufficiently skilled to achieve a straight cut, a saw may be a better bet. A saw table will should provide a perfectly sraight cut but creates a large amount of dust.

Power saws are also not safe for all… this may, of course, apply to those who have never cut plasterboard.:)

Another vote for the bread knife. Pick an old one up in a charity shop - it doesn’t need to be particularly sharp. Cut in long slow cuts so you get a fairly smooth edge. Then gaffer tape the cut edges so they don’t crumble and shed dust everywhere.

I've never cut a piece of plasterboard :cool:
What a sheltered life some of us lead 😀 reading the comments about dust I cut kingspan with a hand joiners ripsaw with slow and steady strokes in an airy work area. I wouldn't describe the crumbs produced as dust by any stretch of the imagination.

What a sheltered life some of us lead 😀 reading the comments about dust I cut kingspan with a hand joiners ripsaw with slow and steady strokes in an airy work area. I wouldn't describe the crumbs produced as dust by any stretch of the imagination.
Oh, you are so sharp you’ll cut yourself one of these days, hold the blade between your forefinger and thumb, carefully so as not to cut yourself.

Talking about kingspan {celotex} and the like I opened the hive today to quickly put in some more fondant and noticed condensation between the lower two sheets of kingspan.
I have 4 layers of 25mm and now I've seen condensation forming I am going to rip off the aluminium foil except for the top to avoid this "due point".

Talking about kingspan {celotex} and the like I opened the hive today to quickly put in some more fondant and noticed condensation between the lower two sheets of kingspan.
I have 4 layers of 25mm and now I've seen condensation forming I am going to rip off the aluminium foil except for the top to avoid this "due point".
How are you getting moisture above the crownboard?
Is the roof leaking?

Latest posts

Back