Beebe 

A Scottish honey
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Owned by six
Talking about kingspan {celotex} and the like I opened the hive today to quickly put in some more fondant and noticed condensation between the lower two sheets of kingspan.
I have 4 layers of 25mm and now I've seen condensation forming I am going to rip off the aluminium foil except for the top to avoid this "due point".
If you've stacked layers of insulation and you get condensation between them you just need to prevent air from getting between the sheets. You should seal the edges with tape and/or encapsulate the lot with medium gauge polythene sheet.

David Woodward 

New Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Number of Hives
one
How are you getting moisture above the crownboard?
Is the roof leaking?
No the roof isn't leaking but ive just realised that I have removed the crown board and put the kingspan with the cut out for the fondant straight onto the top of the brood box frames?.
Do you think this may be the problem? I will wait till the weather warms a bit and replace the crown board back where it should be
under the insulation. Thanks for that.

fizzle 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Cleanest cut without any dust is with a sharp knife like a stanley but you need to cut both sides of board (top and bottom). I use a crown board to mark it and then flat straight edge as guide. You need to cut the full length or width of the insulation board first and snap off then cross cut to size, i.e. don't try and cut out a corner of the board in one go.

Erichalfbee 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
No the roof isn't leaking but ive just realised that I have removed the crown board and put the kingspan with the cut out for the fondant straight onto the top of the brood box frames?.
Do you think this may be the problem? I will wait till the weather warms a bit and replace the crown board back where it should be
under the insulation. Thanks for that.
Yes that’s it.

Brian Bush 

Field Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I forgot to say yesterday I always use aluminium tape for the edges. I use 35mm insulation and cut strips to make a recess underneath. I then place fondant in the recess directly on the top bars.

Anthony Appleyard 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
... reading the comments about dust ...
Once in front of a house in my street I saw a man spray-painting his car, and to keep the paint spray out of his lungs, he had on not a filter mask, but an absolute classical cloth mouth-and-nose gag straight from a crime comic, complete with the noise when he tried to talk through it. It is the only time I have seen a man gagged, except in films etc.

I read that around Runcorn in Cheshire in England in the early 19th century when chemical industry was starting, workmen had to work gagged for long periods to keep caustic sodium carbonate dust out of their lungs.

Last edited:

Latest posts