How to convert wax block to usable foundation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With that kind of temps and time you're going to end up with some really deep brown wax
The most knowledgeable looking reply on that thread came from Karol:

"To sterilize beeswax you have to hold it at 160°C for two hours. Because beeswax has virtually no water of activation it holds bacterial spores in hibernation. There is a risk that when bees 'handle/work' with the wax, especially when they posit large volumes of water during honey production, that spores finding themselves at the wax-water interface may become activated.

Personally I think the risk is very low compared to the risk of honeybees picking up pathogens from their natural environment. I would be more concerned about heating beeswax to form polyaromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) at the sterilizing temperature which are potential carcinogens and likely to leach into honey. "

Like overheating honey, high temperatures can produce potentially harmful chemicals.

I'm thinking I'll keep temperature below 100degC and try and solve my chalkbrood problem by better queens.

. . . . . Ben

I also find that the bees usually draw the foundationless frames quicker than the foundation.
I can tell you that although the foundation from my mould is thicker the bees love it - am sure because they have to make less wax and the cell walls are a bit highter to start with than commercial produced. Also you don't need to make flat sheets. Just pour the wax on the bottom sheet while dropping the top sheet so actually moulded rather than embossed. No need for rolling.

I can tell you that although the foundation from my mould is thicker the bees love it - am sure because they have to make less wax and the cell walls are a bit highter to start with than commercial produced. Also you don't need to make flat sheets. Just pour the wax on the bottom sheet while dropping the top sheet so actually moulded rather than embossed. No need for rolling.
I make hundreds of foundations with my rudimentary set up, I dread to think of the time it would take with one of those molds.

Once the wax has been melted I reckon I make 12 -15 per hour all cut to size and you don't need a large bain marie - just a double saucepan, electris single hob and a plastic jug. I did see someone (on You Tube) heating a double boiler using a gas ring with a gas bottle melting the wax for foundation making. I do not think that is a good idea. It's an accident waiting to happen and you could just end up with the biggest lit and uncontrolled beeswax candle ever. GOLDEN RULE no naked flames.

Latest posts

Back