How to clean Queen excluders

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eric

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
How is the best way to clean up a plastic Queen excluder please

I would use a hive tool to loosen it carefully then maybe use a stiff bristle brush, i only have metal wired and just bought some plastic ones,
Thinking about this post made me realise the plastic ones would be subject to breaking if id use a excluder cleaning tool designed for metal excluders.

Follow the supplied instructions or contact the supplier for instructions/recommendations.

RAB

Follow the supplied instructions or contact the supplier for instructions/recommendations.

RAB

I can also add to this :-

Buy a "builders bucket" from a building or DIY outlet - big plastic one with handles at top. 60 litres is best. They are not expensive.

Fill half way with HOT water with some detergent and most importantly washing soda (1 good tablespoon, 2 if lots of propolis) - can be bought at ASda. then scrub hard but don't break it. Scouring pads do a good job. You will find this gets rid of most of the propolis and other gunge and doesn't mess up your kitchen sink.

Advisable to wear marigolds to protect your skin.

! would just through it away and get a wire one as before long the plastic will age and it will break,,,,,,normal at the most inopportune moment when you have honey suppers on and you will get the queen laying in your honey supers:smilie_bett:

i only use my plastic QE when i need one under a brood box to keep the Q in

! would just through it away and get a wire one as before long the plastic will age and it will break,,,,,,normal at the most inopportune moment when you have honey suppers on and you will get the queen laying in your honey supers:smilie_bett:

i only use my plastic QE when i need one under a brood box to keep the Q in

I agree.

If I had one at all, I'd put it on a frame and create a beespace. They are always stuck to the top of the frames, and when you put it back after inspections, you probably kill a few bees.

Avian help

actually it wasn't just the Sebrights but all the Banties, the normal chickens, Muscovy ducks and Turkeys who at least all had an investigate of the brown stuff i'd accidentally left out "for them".

Back