Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

andyroberts07 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Hi Everyone

Can you help, i have some old brood boxes that i want to use with frames in them, what is the best way to clean them for re-use.

Is scrapping the old wax and propolis off and then scorching them with a blow tourch, enough???

or are there other ways????

Some help will be most appriciated. AR

admin 

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Sodium hydroxide - (Caustic soda) dip for the frames (works best if heated in an old Burco boiler)then rinse off with water.
A blow torch for the box's.

andyroberts07 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
thankyou for the reply Admin, were can i get an old burco boiler from? and how much are they.
while we are on thesubject, whats the best way to clean crown boards, floors and queen exculders. AR

oliver90owner 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
These are second hand? If so a comprehensive scorching, after scraping, for the brood boxes. Scrap the frames.

If you know the history then maybe do as Admin says, or use washing soda instead, as that is a little safer for use. Hot (or even cold) caustic soda solution can be quite hazardous, and I would not recommend that unless you take all the safety aspects very seriously, or are experienced with using chemicals.

To be honest, cleaning frames of doubtful provenance is not something I would do. Frames are cheap (80p a throw for 14 x 12 Nationals in the sales). For a few, the time, effort and cost makes cleaning them pretty marginal.

And, welcome to the forum.

Regards, RAB

darrenperrett 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Dont throw them away if you`ve got an open fire as old frames make great firelighters with all that old wax on.

OXFORDBEE 

Field Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
commercial
Number of Hives
More than 1, numbers seem to go up and down.
If you have a frame steamer you can recover the wax and get the frames clean at the same time. Even if all the wax has been cut out, enough remains in the side bars to help cover the cost of electricity.

Latest posts