How to clean an Apidia ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BKF Admin

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have a couple of Apidia's that I want to clean before storage over winter.

Whats the best thing to use ?
I was thinking of using Sodium hypochlorite.

I have a couple of Apidia's that I want to clean before storage over winter.

Whats the best thing to use ?
I was thinking of using Sodium hypochlorite.

Virkon S would do it, not sure about Sodium hypochlorinite.

Bleach also works, just make up a solution of Domestos or something like that as directed on the bottle. You will need to hold the bits under water for a while as they will float of course. The most aggressive cleaner is caustic soda. This strips off propolis but wear full PPE - goggles, rubber gloves, wellies and plastic apron. The best rubber gloves are the sorts from farm suppliers with long cuffs. If you've painted the Apidea the caustic soda will take the paint off if you leave it in too long.

Rooftops they are not painted.
BUT I would like to paint some for next year,what paint can I use on poly ?

You can use more or less any sort of paint suitable for outdoor use, except of course anything with cellulose in it, like a car paint. For just an Apidea or two the main issue would be not buying too much. Cuprinol Garden Shades is fine but you may struggle to get it in a small enough tin. There are outdoor emulsion paints and of course various outdoor paints thinned by white spirits. These will work fine but be careful not to bung up the sliding bits in the Apidea, which is why I haven't painted mine.

I painted some poly nucs bought the other week and the recommendation was exterior masonary paint. I did a small test area and it worked fine. I now have some nicely painted poly nucs the same colour as the house :)!
So based on that I would say it would work on the Apideas.
Also in the instructions it recommends weak bleach or Virkon S to clean the inside.

Gloss or vinyl both work fine.

It pays to have distinguishing marks on the nucs for queens returning.

I once scared a queen off the comb with a mini and after 20 mins it was obviouus they were fanning for her. Then I realised she haad been moved since her mating flight and so was lost.

I stood there for 5 mins and then she returned and I saw her enter the nuc. I, in my suit was her land mark and I had gone! LOL

PH

As PH states,good to have distinguishing marks,but what other reason is there to paint poly mini nuc's.

I assume the the apidea is made of polystyrene (HIPS), generally, this is not suitable for outdoor applications unless it has been UV stabilized. This can be done as part of the manufacturing process or by 'painting'. Does anyone know if Apideas are UV stabilized?

Some suppliers recommend latex based paints, but stay well away from cellulose based.

I asked this question a few weeks ago.
The only reply was a referral to painting instructions.
Would be interested to know.

Latest posts

Back