How to clean a smoker?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This BBQ chatter reminded me of an occasion a good thirty or more years ago -this is one of those hackneyed tales thats to daft to be true, but it is. I was running an event for around 40 people - evening BBQ and sing song - one helper volunteered to light and manage a good sized central fire after another chap had failed to light it at all. He stoked it up and added a bale of old but manky dry straw to ensure a good lasting heat to ignite larger timbers, he said - you've already guessed by now I'm sure - he had also added petrol to the bale. Ignition - the whole fire/wood pile /fire exploded in all directions of course, Ron was flat on his back and many expletives were exchanged by all. He said he always could light a fire. The real rub was that Ron was actually a firefighter by trade !

I wasn't aware of that. I'll look into it. Thanks.

James
I bought a couple of pairs of bellows in a Thornes sale a few years ago. I think they were £2 a pair!

Mine's fairly black around the lip now, bad enough that closing it is becoming tricky and hence smoke escapes from places it shouldn't when lit.

How do you clean your smoker?
I take the bellows off and then soak the smoker in a strong solution of hot soda crystals (use about half a packet). Chip off any hard bits and soak again. Comes up like new. I have an old ambrosia container which I cut the top off, perfect size for soaking a smoker. Costs £1 in sofa crystals, do it at end of season (or start!)

I wasn't aware of that. I'll look into it. Thanks.

James

...Simon the Beekeeper....£3.99. The leather on my smoker got burned by a cinder and at that price it was worth a punt. The parcel just arrived, so I'll tell you if they're any good later.

PS. Update, the spare bellows are vinyl rather than my original leather. They are a bit bigger, which means fewer or smaller puffs are needed to keep it going. In my case the new ones are a bit longer than the old ones, so the smoker may be a bit less stable. But I am delighted with them; it was less than five minute's work with a screwdriver to fix them. Incidentally I'm pleased with my entire order from STBKeeper....great value, efficient delivery, excellent quality. I also got some Swienty boxes, various foundation and frames in kit form which all come nicely boxed. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back