How to best avoid squashing bees during an inspection

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bees knees

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
This wasn't much of a problem when our colonies (from nucs end of June) were much smaller. Now there are many more bees i am finding it harder to replace (as in put back down after lifting) the brood frames (combination of national hoffmans and some with plastic ends) without nearly squashing the bees. What's the best way of persuading them out of the way to avoid squashing? The same goes for moving them off the edges when replacing the crown board. I have been sometimes using smoke to try and move them along but not sure this should be necessary and don't want to use more than i need to. Gloves-wise i wear normal marigolds.
Any tips very welcome!:bigear:

This wasn't much of a problem when our colonies (from nucs end of June) were much smaller. Now there are many more bees i am finding it harder to replace (as in put back down after lifting) the brood frames (combination of national hoffmans and some with plastic ends) without nearly squashing the bees. What's the best way of persuading them out of the way to avoid squashing? The same goes for moving them off the edges when replacing the crown board. I have been sometimes using smoke to try and move them along but not sure this should be necessary and don't want to use more than i need to. Gloves-wise i wear normal marigolds.
Any tips very welcome!:bigear:

I just go slowly and blow at them gently to replace frames. Doesnt seem to work for crown board though. Di

Put all boxes and crown boards on at 45 degrees, and slowly turn into final position.

Put all boxes and crown boards on at 45 degrees, and slowly turn into final position.

:iagree:

But easier with crown board than boxes. The alternative is to clear one edge then put that edge of the box on; then lower it with a slight bouncing action- eg down 1 inch, back up 1/2 inch and repeat. This gives the bees a bit of notice and a chance to get out of the way.

.... whilst puffing smoke at the places around the edge where they have returned otherwise you might decapitate those looking up. It is often the only time I use smoke when I'm at the bees. Also, the touch of something like a crownboard rim can encourage them to scuttle out of the way. Try holding back from fully dropping the thing down, lower it while overhanging the edge, stop just before squashing any on the side edges, shuggle it from side to side a little, lower the rest of it, and slide it slightly over to line it up with the sides of the top box.

Oops - snap! Quite agree with Skyhook.

not squashing bees

re frames - presuming you don't used castellated spacers remove end frame (checking for queen) and place on upturned roof of hive. Slide each frame out and up thereafter. After examining rest of frames one by one push them back together and finally replace end frame.

re crown board - difficult in dadants with metal corner pieces to twist from 45 degrees.

If there are 2 of you working the bees- put a towel over the whole brood box/super onto which you are putting the next super. Wait one/two minutes - the person not holding the super quickly remove the towel and the other person immediately put the super on - the bees have usually gone down into the box.

Back