How to add more young bees to a keiler?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nonstandard

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
9 colonies & 2 nucs
I have a keiler mating give that for one or two reasons has very few worker bees present. The queen is present and mated but can't get going u assume because of the lack of bees.
Can I just throw in another cup of bees from a calm colony or is it more complicated than that?

I have a keiler mating give that for one or two reasons has very few worker bees present. The queen is present and mated but can't get going u assume because of the lack of bees.
Can I just throw in another cup of bees from a calm colony or is it more complicated than that?

why not make up a nuc with a couple of frames of brood with attached young bees and sweep in some more bees off adjacent frames... and put your mated queen in the new nuc
shake bees out of keiler ... they will find new hive for themselves?

Put the queen in self-release cage and give a pint of young bees at the entrance at dusk. Keep fondant in the feeder and it should take off.

I've had a couple go like this in the lat month (whilst others have built up well). I'd do what icanhopit suggests - move them out of the Kieler pronto into a nuc. Don't leave it too long until you do this. Of the two that dwindled I managed to rescue one queen (who is now doing well) but lost the other.

Unless you have a good reason for keeping the mini nuc going (another cell to emerge?) I too would call it a day and use your queen in a full size nuc.

PH

No. The problem was that the bees just died in the nuc - it wasn't actually a meltdown.

OMG are they all yours! When was the photo taken? Did you sell them all? I'm gaping open-mouthed in awe......

We give them a GPS when they are born........
How do you think queens found their colony when bees in Cyprus were kept in mud tubes piled one on top of the other up to 5 foot high. These formed walls or even house walls were built with them, how's that for an ancient therm-efficient dwelling? In some of these apiaries there were 500+ colonies.
Varroa soon sorted them out and only a couple of people keep bees like this today. So much for natural cell size and natural beekeeping enthusiasts.

Latest posts

Back