How the bees defend a nuc from wasps

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A sheet of glass is working well this year on my 6 frame nuc that did have wasps looking about.

Yes, quite a few of my hives have been putting bouncers out like this. Highly effective.

Bouncers.PNG

Yes all my colonies are doing that incl. the nucs. Also, one makes a beep sound to alert the others of incoming - I think.

Another tactic that some of my nucs used to use was to put their butts into the 9mm holes stopping all from entering. Then letting the pilled up foragers in through one hole and then close the hole down again. Amazing strategists!

Wow, they do keep trying though.

The wasps start at daybreak and they do not stop going at it all day until dark, has been going on here for weeks and this was just a 2 minute clip of that day.
Yes all my colonies are doing that incl. the nucs. Also, one makes a beep sound to alert the others of incoming - I think.

Hahaha yes I have heard the beeping wandered what it was.

Last edited:
The ivy’s definitely open here now. Oddly, the stuff in my garden at least, only has small walls on it.

Ivy doesn’t flower until it reaches the top of whatever its climbing, according to the gardening gurus.
So low walls are good😊

Ivy in its creeping stage does not flower and the leaves are palmate. When it becomes arboreal, the leaves change to a more rounded shape. It will flower after ten years.
So probably will have reached the top of whatever it's climbing, Poot.
There's a section of dry stone wall on top of a mountain in Pontypridd that has the earliest flowering Ivy I know of around here, I always use it as a gauge.

Ivy in its creeping stage does not flower and the leaves are palmate. When it becomes arboreal, the leaves change to a more rounded shape. It will flower after ten years.
There's a section of dry stone wall on top of a mountain in Pontypridd that has the earliest flowering Ivy I know of around here, I always use it as a gauge.
Thanks for that Steve, that does ring a familiar bell 🔔
If it hasn’t reached the top in ten years, it picked the wrong tree😃

This lot started opening flowers yesterday.
DSC_0059.JPG

One of my regular walks when we were berthed at the marines base at Turnchapel was up above Jennycliffe bay to the great wall at Staddon heights that overlooks the sea. The whole area up there was just a forest of ivy, really heady when the flowerts opened

Latest posts

Back