How succeeded the rape yield?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finman

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
How much you got rape honey from hives? Colonies were in good condition but what about weather?

Here we have in birches finger nail size leaves. Mapples are in full bloom.

Soon it is time to cut lawn first time.

Last edited:
Well I had a number of frames of honey when I checked on Thursday. But, now the weather has changed to rain at the moment, so it will be a few more days before I can see if there are any to take. I shall need to hire / borrow a spinner, as I have not purchased one as yet.

I am also waiting for a new queen to arrive for my first hive in the post, the bees are really becoming aggressive, not having had a queen for over two weeks :reddevil:

It is amazing that Finland's climate is so far behind that of England, well I am referring to the South East. I guess you are not far behind the Scottish Highlands.

Last year it was a huge lack of food on the globe. Then EU command to take into production all fallows (20% of field area).
Then during last winter the price of wheat dropped and famine was sweeped away. Now it is recommend to raise spring rape. So to me it means more options to choose good pastures.

EU%20Wheat.GIF

Last edited:
Heavy flow where I am. The late winter sown rape is in heavy flower and the spring sown rape is yet to come into bud.

A very humid day yesterday meant nectar dripping out of combs.... Should be another 3 weeks of nectar flow before all is finished.

Fingers crossed for a decent yield...

So far I don't quite have a full super from any of the four colonies but if the weather improves the soil is wet and the fields have 1-2 weeks to go. So far it has been too wet (and too dry right at the start of flowering), and now the bees are more focussed on swarming, something they usually do after the rape is finished.

I'd rather that the rape finished quickly as the hawthorn looks good this year.

G.

Here we have in birches finger nail size leaves. Mapples are in full bloom.

Soon it is time to cut lawn first time.

I travelled north yesterday up a route that goes up 500m in altitude. The birch here finished flowering 2-3 weeks ago and all trees are in full leaf. Maples and sycamore are finished too. The lawn should have been cut 2 months ago but hasn't been!

G.

Quick update ... Rape still in flower and yielding heavily. There might be another 2-3 weeks left before the late winter sown fields finish. Quite a few hives are now on 4 supers.

There might even be a bit of honey from the field beans this year as there is water in the soil and it's looking like it will be hot for a few days...

Fingers crossed ....

On Sunday we will have +30C temp in south Finland. Apple trees start to bloom.

When will bloom your spring rape?

Last edited:
Spring sown rape is on the way and should start flowering in the next two weeks or so...

Latest posts

Back