mark s 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
16 + 3nuc's
hi all

was time for me to mark my new queens during inspection this weekend,first mistake i made was marking them by the hives,(next time ill move away a distance and do it) second mistake was droping one of the queens on the floor:banghead:(another reason to do it away from the hive and indoors) but i picked her back up apologised profusely and marked and put her back:coolgleamA:
and while all this was going on i was sweating like a pig as the temp was nearly 26 deg where my hives were.
but i managed it in the end and was pleased to have marked and not killed my first queens:coolgleamA::coolgleamA:

jimbeekeeper 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
hi all

was time for me to mark my new queens during inspection this weekend,first mistake i made was marking them by the hives,(next time ill move away a distance and do it):

Why was it a mistake?

mark s 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
16 + 3nuc's
hi jim
just thought that i should have done them indoors and not by an open hive

Poly Hive 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
Well done.

FWIW I hold them by the wing and walk away some 20 yds or so and clip and mark, which also helps the smell fade from the paint as I walk back and then smoke her before popping her back in.

PH

admin 

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Good advice PH,thats just what I do,the same distance as well..

mark s 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
16 + 3nuc's
thats interesting ph i just put here back on the frame i found her on never thought of smokin her,did stick around though to check they were ok when i put them back

fatshark 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
... and was pleased to have marked and not killed my first queens:coolgleamA::coolgleamA:
That's exactly what I thought last w/e when I marked a newly mated queen in a nuc. Checked yesterday to find 5 QC's in various states of readiness :banghead: The other queens I marked on the same day were all doing fine, but I must have either damaged her or the bees must have taken offence to the white blotch.

--
fatshark

Latest posts