How old would you say this is ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JCBrum

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
8 ish
I caught a swarm about a month ago and put it in a hive. Whilst doing an inspection this morning I was looking for eggs but couldn't find any. Perhaps I 'should have gone to Specsavers'.

However I did find some of these. I'm guessing at 3 days old. Can anyone confirm or better inform me.

Regards JC.

I have studied this and it's very difficult to judge but I am going to take a punt on this basis. I would not graft them so I think four to five.

PH

Thank-you Poly. So that I might learn a bit, would you say why you wouldn't graft them ?

With the naked eye they looked very white, I think it's the led flash on my 'phone that has made them look grey. Also I took the pic through a magnifying glass which might have caused some odd effect.

JC.

This is a rule. Oooops are there rules? Yes.

Three days is the max to graft from and to my mind the preferable age is 12 to 24 hours. At that age they are just "seeable" and moveable in consequence. also it gives them the most time of being fed as a Queen.

Over three days the feeding time is too short to ensure a high quality queen.

PH

eggs or grubs ??

the preferable age is 12 to 24 hours. At that age they are just "seeable"

PH

So I conclude that you are assessing the age from the size of the grub ?

Surely at 12 to 24 hours they are eggs, aren't they ? I thought they only turned into larvae between 48 and 72 hrs old ?

JC.

Egg three days,graft on fourth day,PH means the age of the larvae,in hours once egg has hatched.

Latest posts

Back