how often can i move a hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnandyrob

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
I no how far i can move a hive but if i move a hive 3 foot how long till i can move it again

I do it every other day.
That allows for bad weather when they won't be flying so much, if at all.

Thank you is it better to do it during the day or at night

I move mine 3ft a day, not worrying about the time of day or the weather.

If a lot of them are out forraging, it sometimes takes those returning bees a good 10 minutes to find the entrance, but they all do eventually.

Thanks again ill let you all know when iv got more dumb questions but if you don't ask

I move mine 3ft a day, not worrying about the time of day or the weather.

If a lot of them are out forraging, it sometimes takes those returning bees a good 10 minutes to find the entrance, but they all do eventually.

:iagree:
They hover around for a few minutes but soon sort it out.

I find it amazing how accurately they can locate back to where the entrance used to be and completely ignore the hive you`ve shifted 2 feet sideways.

Darren.

miving hives

shifting a couple of feet daily won't cause any problems...unless you put another hive in the position that the old one was in.

I move my hives on sunny day. In one hour bees locate the new site.

During bad weather and at night bees have not time to search the hive. They die into lawn.

If there are no hives between old and new site, I may move 10 feets. It is not much if weather is good.

Latest posts

Back