How much to keep?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve1958

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Beeing a newbie, and having only aquired my first hive a few months ago
I am not looking to take honey from my Bees this year
(apart from a small taster to check they have the recipe right). bee-smillie

However
Thinking ahead for next year.
My question is 'How much honey do you eat?

I have a sweet tooth and currently take two sugars in my drinks
sugar on my breakfast cereal,
honey or jam on my bread,
lots of fizzy drinks
and sugar in many sweets and desserts.

How many Jars of Honey does an average Beekeeper eat each year? :drool5:

If anyone wishes to verify this figure, please show your working.

;)

Verification

I jar a week, worked out over the 4 year cycle to include the leap year.

Unfortunately you have not included the once in 400 years when there is no leap year, so you have not included data from year 2000 in your calculations.

The error is only in the sixth significant figure, so you are close.

Unfortunately, although a very precise your answer it is about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

Why? No mention of the size of the jar!! Ha ha.

Regards, RAB

Unfortunately, although a very precise your answer it is about as useful as a chocolate teapot. Why? No mention of the size of the jar!! Ha ha.

Au contraire, to mention the size of the jar in the answer would lose marks, as it was not a requirement of the question.

An alternative answer would be 42 (the answer to life, the universe, and everything), since if the size of the jar is irrelevant (it must be, since it does not appear in the question) any positive number will do. :p

:)

since if the size of the jar is irrelevant (it must be, since it does not appear in the question)

I did note that but ignored it as I knew you would be expecting something from me and I didn't want to dissect the Steve's question, like I did your reply.

A lady wanted some honey last year and just took one jar - a plastic 10l one!

Regards, RAB

I wonder how long it took her to eat it ;) Since it was only one jar, to comply with the known facts, per se, it must have taken less than one year. :)

But she wasn't 'average', no one is, so you cannot draw a safe deduction from this example, you need at least two sample purchasers for a meaningful statistic. ;)

it depends on the person, i sell myhoney in 1 lb jars, i have customers that take a year to use 1 jar, but i also have a customer that eat though a jar in 2 DAYS. he must drink it

you need at least two sample purchasers for a meaningful statistic.

Just to prove a point. Lets take one customer of yours and that one of mine OK, OK, I know you said 'at least'. Answer may well be 7kg/'jar'. Still nowhere near a meaningful statistic. Hey, we could debate this for days!

Did you hear about the three deer shooters? Saw a stag in the distance and the first fired and missed by 1m to the right. The second fired and missed by 1m to the left. The third shooter, a statistician, jumped up and down shouting 'we got him, we got him'.

Demonstrates the value of quite a lot of selected statistics.

Regards, RAB

Ha Ha ...... I like it. :)

> Still nowhere near a meaningful statistic. <

Well it's statistically meaningful ! ;)

Thurrock, your customers eat 1 jar of your honey p.a. statistically speaking. :)

(unless they buy 2 jars, - o90o ;) )

I eat none. Don't like the stuff. :ack2:

But that leaves all the more for me to sell to those that do like it.

How much I eate honey . I do not know.
During extracting enough I suppose.

I have seen a case where average was measured from one fish l. It is possible if you do not get more.

Finman please explain what fish has to do with honey. :cheers2:

Latest posts

Back