How much to feed?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbr

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
My bees have been out flying well over the last few days, bringing in plenty of pollen. I had a quick peek under the roof on Saturday and noticed bees on 7 frames. I didn't have a proper look inside so I'm not sure how much stores etc are in there. I decided to give them a feed anyway so yesterday midday I put a feeder above their crown hole and filled it with 2 pints of feed - 1:1 mix. I have just had a look and it's all gone. Is this a 'normal' rate of consumption, ie 2 pints in 36 hours? Should I feed more tomorrow? When to stop feeding and let them go it alone?
Many thanks in advance of any replies.
Jason

You don't have to do a full inspection to assess food stocks. If the weather is a bit iffy take off the roof, loosen the crown board but don't take it off just slide it to one side to expose the first frame. If that is empty slide the cover board over a bit more to expose the second frame if that is empty too FEED. If there is a little food in the first 2 frames feed a little (2 pints a week) to keep them happy until the weather allows a full check.
Regards Mike

When you look inside the hive, cover off, don't lift the frames, you see capped honey in frames. Then food is ok and you wait for better weathers.

If you do not see capped cells, take a closer look. Put a piece of cloath over brood area and lift 2 sidemost frames up and look what they have.

Thanks for the advice. I had another peek this afternoon, looking from the rear of the hive, the first frame had not been drawn out. The second frame had been drawn but with nothing on it, just a few wandering bees. Third frame was full of bees, no brood, plenty of uncapped honey. Fourth frame same as the third. Based on their being no capped honey, I fed them 2 pints of 1:1 sugar. Am planning on a full inspection over the weekend, the forecast looks favourable, so I'll see the full picture then.

I'm coming round to the view you can't overfeed bees.

I dont think bees think of it as being overfed but trading standards might when syrup ends up in honey

I'm beginning to think that the feeding question is a bit like 'how long is a piece of string?' I know that everyone has an opinion, but at least there is a definitive answer to the string question - 'twice the length from the end to it's middle'

I'm coming round to the view you can't overfeed bees.

You just kill the brooding space in the hive and get them swarming.

Yes, I live in Finland and we are so different.

I feed bees in September for winter. Now it is April and I have not gived extra food and still hives have good stores. Since now I take capped frames from other hives and give it to the hives whixh have not enough.

My main goal in spring is to get rid off winter food .

"My hive has good stores and I have have fondant on. Do I feed enough" -
That is not experienced beekeeper's talking.

"My hive has good stores and I have have fondant on. Do I feed enough" -
That is not experienced beekeeper's talking.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Regards, RAB

Thanks for the advice. I had another peek this afternoon, looking from the rear of the hive, the first frame had not been drawn out. The second frame had been drawn but with nothing on it, just a few wandering bees. Third frame was full of bees, no brood, plenty of uncapped honey. Fourth frame same as the third. Based on their being no capped honey, I fed them 2 pints of 1:1 sugar. Am planning on a full inspection over the weekend, the forecast looks favourable, so I'll see the full picture then.

I think the un capped honey as you call it was the syrup you fed the other day was that by rapid feeder if so a contact feeder may have been better for the 2nd feed and perhaps a week later. They may well have being short of stores.

Latest posts

Back