How much syrup for new swarm?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd be inclined to remove the old frame now, before the queen starts laying, and while they are still in building mode. That may remove some of the stored syrup - if so I'd give them a bit more & then leave alone for a while.
You could leave the old frame on its side above the crown board feeding hole (just give space to get at it, so not blocking the feed hole), they should clean it up.

Did your swarm go onto new foundation like mine or were you able to give them drawn comb? Thought it might make a difference to the amount of syrup they need?
One old drawn comb and the rest Foundation and strips. They draw their own comb first

No need to remove the old comb, unless it is diseased or really manky.
Yester year it was common place to remove it when Bayvarol and apistan was used, but today if one uses starter combs and natural treatments like OA there is no need to keep removing it just because of a darker colouring.
The bees will tell you when it is no longer viable by not using it, alternatively if you don't like it cut out 90% of it leaving a starter piece and they will build new comb.

My rational was that if old enough to be black it probably is a bit manky. If it's not straight it will throw out the new combs built alongside. Also much harder (for me at least) to see eggs in old black comb. Easier to remove it when there is no brood in it, and little stores, than gradually work it out of the brood nest later.
Much easier, especially for a new beekeeper, to manipulate nice even combs.
Once emptied it could go in another bait hive......

The bees will tell you when it is no longer viable by not using it, alternatively if you don't like it cut out 90% of it leaving a starter piece and they will build new comb.

That's a great tip, thank-you.

My rational was that if old enough to be black it probably is a bit manky. If it's not straight it will throw out the new combs built alongside. Also much harder (for me at least) to see eggs in old black comb. Easier to remove it when there is no brood in it, and little stores, than gradually work it out of the brood nest later.
Much easier, especially for a new beekeeper, to manipulate nice even combs.
Once emptied it could go in another bait hive......

It was old, black and manky...I got it from another beekeeper who was throwing it away. That said, when I saw it this morning the bees had cleaned it up nicely and filled much of it with nectar. I’m loathed to deprive them of it at this stage but will do if there’s a consensus that I should...?

It was old, black and manky...I got it from another beekeeper who was throwing it away. That said, when I saw it this morning the bees had cleaned it up nicely and filled much of it with nectar. I’m loathed to deprive them of it at this stage but will do if there’s a consensus that I should...?
leave it in there for now, as the colony expands, gradually work it out to the edge of the box then in the spring when it is empty, take it out

If you want rid of put it flat on the crown board, raised up a little so the bees can get all over it. They will move it's nectar/syrup very quickly.
If another beekeeper was chucking it it's probably not much good other than as a bait hive lure,or to melt the wax out of.

If they're using it I would let them keep it for now. Funny thing is, I keep seeing information whch tells me that it's easier to see eggs in new comb...it is relatively easy. But I also seem to remember the reason why you can get black, plastic brood-comb is that "it makes seeing eggs easier."
:banghead:

If they're using it I would let them keep it for now. Funny thing is, I keep seeing information whch tells me that it's easier to see eggs in new comb...it is relatively easy. But I also seem to remember the reason why you can get black, plastic brood-comb is that "it makes seeing eggs easier."
Why the :banghead: ?
Surely you know what you can see? It doesn’t matter what anybody else can or can’t.
Invest in a pocket LED torch and you’ll probably be able to see eggs wherever they are?

One is experience, the other is marketing.

Why the :banghead: ?
Surely you know what you can see? It doesn’t matter what anybody else can or can’t.
Invest in a pocket LED torch and you’ll probably be able to see eggs wherever they are?

I'm not commenting out of a personal difficulty in seeing eggs; like seeing most things with bees, once you've "got your eye in" and familiarised yourself with what to look for, it is fairly easy. 🍳
What I'm alluding to is that despite all the frequently described disadvantages to bee welfare which can come from the use of black comb, maybe egg visibility is improved, although the negatives would outweigh any advantage there. I haven't tried to use black plastic or black wax in the brood nest, so I don't know.
The :banghead: is because that's my favourite emoticon and best describes my feeling most of the time. :)

Latest posts

Back