How much of a problem are wax moths?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many of your hives have wax moths

• Upto 100%

Votes: 6 8.7%
  • Upto 80%

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Upto 60%

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Upto 40%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Upto 20%

Votes: 16 23.2%
  • None

Votes: 44 63.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think you are all anwering a bit simplistically, taking the question at face value................. Karol is a clever fox and I have a gut feel about where this is going.

Think potentially toxic stores in the hive, neonic laced perhaps?

I too have the feeling it is going to change direction, or have a dramatic 'reveal' as the true intention becomes clear. Don't rule out GM, we haven't done that one for a while ;)

I think you are all anwering a bit simplistically, taking the question at face value................. Karol is a clever fox and I have a gut feel about where this is going.

I'll take that as a compliment but I'm not as machiavellian as you make me out to be. And I'm not an activist. Take the poll (however poorly crafted) on face value.

I'll take that as a compliment but I'm not as machiavellian as you make me out to be. And I'm not an activist. Take the poll (however poorly crafted) on face value.

Well it was certainly not meant as an insult as one poster imagined. It was also not meant to be as devious as Machiavellian would imply. BUT..........clever individuals rarely ask questions without there being an underlying purpose for it. It is generally not just for the sake of conversation unless as some kind of stalling tactic while a thought process is going on in the background ( and you are quick, so the chance of it being that reason is very slim).

Given previous lines of questioning on here (again, not a negative comment) you may have somewhat given up asking direct questions about bees, as for the most part beekeepers do not give a straight answer to that, tending to overegg their bees welfare and performance, so other beekeepers do not think of them as poor beekeepers. They like to be seen as good at what they do, and to have excellent bees, and you probably spotted that very quickly. Any results of straw polls are thus likely to give a skewed answer. So, shift horses, and ask about another creature that lives in the hive environment and shares part of the same potentially contaminated food. Then you might get an answer less tainted by beekeeper pride.

Only flaw with this one is that the answers might be skewed the other way, with beekeepers understating the numbers of moths so making it MORE likely it could be interpreted as poisoning, compounded by asking the question at the time of year when it is least likely to see an actual moth. My answer to that question would not be the same in June as it is in December.

Sorry, been asked too many questions in the past by too many people with hidden aggendas, and it can make me a suspicious sort. Guess not everyone is a jounalist..................

I am very open and liberal with information and advice if sought. Sometimes it gets picked up and twisted (getting messages on e-mail even overnight about Stromness 'twisting my words and selectively misquoting me' out of some interview a while back .) and it puts a kind of mental filter in your mind about questions. Depending on the questioner and the context you tend to try to guess what the real question behind the simple front question actually is. Calling you a 'clever fox' meant that you are smart enough not to launch a frontal attack on a subject in the knowledge you are not going to get universally untainted answers anyway, so could adopt a more roundabout approach.

There is a lot more to finding the truth about this beekeeping mullarkey than just asking straight questions............

Last edited:
There is a lot more to finding the truth about this beekeeping mullarkey than just asking straight questions............

So just to make it perfectly clear again - I have no hidden agenda with this poll and I prefer to keep on topic. It's all very well trying to be clever but then you lose respect and no-one treats you seriously.

If you must know, my work with bees which is unrelated to wax moths has always resulted in loads of wax moths appearing. I'm just trying to understand the significance of my observations.

The greater wax moths are often seen on the outside of beehives during warm summer nights, mostly in pairs, and sometimes in quite high numbers.

The larvae have other uses apart from being raised as feed ect.

The larvae of the Greater Wax Moth have been shown to be an excellent model organism for in vivo toxicology and pathogenicity testing, replacing the use of small mammals in such experiments. The larvae are also well-suited models for studying the cellular and the humoral responses of the insect immune system.

Quite mild here, but raining again.

Last edited:
The larvae of the Greater Wax Moth have been shown to be an excellent model organism for in vivo toxicology and pathogenicity testing, replacing the use of small mammals in such experiments.

We live and learn! Thank you for that. That's been really helpful. I haven't come across any drug tox data as yet that's been evaluated on wax moth larvae so I guess it's a relatively (as far as drugs go) recent development? That said, you never know when little nuggets like this might make all the difference.

There will, of course, be fewer wax moths around these days - populations will have reduced over the years, just as most moth populations will have been reduced with insecticide use, particularly the newer systemics which are permeating the whole eco-system.

Dammit, I was just coming to make the same joke.

Big problem a few years ago when we discovered too late that colonies had varroa with pyrethroid resistance. I noticed major greater wax moth infestation in colonies badly affected by Varroa. Get the occasional GWM larvae still generating a few cells of bald brood.

We live and learn! Thank you for that. That's been really helpful. I haven't come across any drug tox data as yet that's been evaluated on wax moth larvae so I guess it's a relatively (as far as drugs go) recent development? That said, you never know when little nuggets like this might make all the difference.
The greatest danger posed by wax moth is when spare brood comb is stored 'unprotected'. PDB is now illegal! Using a flat sponge drenched with 100mls 85% formic acid/11 comb, stored brood box, will eliminate wax moth larvae and also kill the eggs and adult stages
Formic acid at 60%, as an anti Varroa treatment deals effectively with wax moth invasion into occupied hives.

Yzalich

I treat stored comb before it goes into storage and I try only to keep big healthy colonies, so wax moth is not is not a problem at all, so I voted 0%, but I think it is endemic in living hives, so could have voted 100%.

I've seen greater and lesser moths around my hives.

not a problem at all but seen around hives so 20%

I polled Zero, however that is because I have never seen any adults/larvae in any of my occupied hives - Unoccupied hives, Mating mini nucs are a different story - the slightest gap and the box full is ruined.

Haven't voted .
No wax moth in my hives but one year I stored my supers as usual in my (insect proof ) honey shed! I didn't used them all the following year, upshot was ,when I came to use them they had been ravished by wax moth !
I had left a brood comb/frame.that I'd been using as a template in there!
I did state honey house was insect proofed but not idiot proof ;(
VM

Hi,

Just trying to get a feel for how much of a problem wax moths are. All input gratefully appreciated.

Hi Karol,
Haven't voted, but had bald brood in one of my hives 2012 which surprised me somewhat. A 'commercial beek' in our area also had bald brood then and I got the idea that it was unexpected too.

I've been out of circulation for a while so apologies for not following up sooner on this poll.

I would like to thank everyone for their contributions and for voting. I appreciate that straw polls aren't brilliant but it has given me a useful insight into the possible scale of the problem.

My interest basically is that whenever I've worked around protecting bees one of the 'side effects' is that I've always ended up catching tens of thousands (literally) of wax moths so was interested to understand how much of a problem wax moths were and whether there was any mileage or interest in providing a (pesticide free) means of eradicating (or even monitoring) wax moths.

I don't pretend to understand much about wax moths - haven't done the research yet - so don't know if the eradication happens before or after egg laying by the adults.

Any further thoughts on this subject gratefully received.

I've been out of circulation for a while so apologies for not following up sooner on this poll.

I would like to thank everyone for their contributions and for voting. I appreciate that straw polls aren't brilliant but it has given me a useful insight into the possible scale of the problem.

My interest basically is that whenever I've worked around protecting bees one of the 'side effects' is that I've always ended up catching tens of thousands (literally) of wax moths so was interested to understand how much of a problem wax moths were and whether there was any mileage or interest in providing a (pesticide free) means of eradicating (or even monitoring) wax moths.

I don't pretend to understand much about wax moths - haven't done the research yet - so don't know if the eradication happens before or after egg laying by the adults.

Any further thoughts on this subject gratefully received.

Some sort of pheromone trap, perhaps?

Latest posts

Back