How Much is Your Honey?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mosquito

My brother is allergic to grass pollen.
Honey does not help.

grass pollen is "anemophilous" i.e airborne so it drifts into all the flowers that bees do harvest - inevitably some will eventually finish up in honey.

Over the years I've had four neighbouring hayfever prone customers who've kept with a regime of half a teaspoon a day of my honey everyday of the year and it's worked for them.

richard

Last edited:
So it's pot luck if you have grass pollen in your honey.

Only if your bees don't have access to flowering grasses which I suppose must be the case in many urban areas.

Honey bees do collect grass pollen.... oh, hang on, I already wrote that...

Chris

Wind borne grass pollen grains are about .09 mm in dia - so they settle in, and then piggyback on whatever the bee harvests from the flower and get carried back to the hive.
In 1994ish the University of Swansea (maybe Cardiff?) offered a free analysis of pollen in honey samples - mine contained pollen from a variety of what are generally not considered to be bee visited plants.

Bee collecting pollen from grass.

Bee-collecting-pollen-form-.jpg

Chris

honey prices

German market in birmingham yesterday, 500gm jars of honey ranging in price from £8.50 to to £11.50 depending on type of honey source.

German market in birmingham yesterday, 500gm jars of honey ranging in price from £8.50 to to £11.50 depending on type of honey source.

Better tell Mrs J that the five quid for half a pound she's getting is not that mad then - had a message off her last night that she already has bulk orders for next year's crop! better ask the bees to be nice and give me a bit more than ten pounds then:)
My parting shot was as she's doing so well we'd better get some more bees - no reply as yet (but little does she know.....................:D)

Other side of the coin. Imported of course.

In Bookers today, 1.3kg of runny honey was £4-95. £1-73 a lb by my calcs.

PH

Hi, seen a couple of signs out selling local honey for £3.50 for a 1lb jar, that sounds pretty cheap to me. What is the going rate?

I doubt I could get much more than that here in poverty stricken Yarmouth. Then again, a lot of hospital workers here too that could afford to pay a little more

I thought money was tight around here but I've sold at £3.75 for the last couple of years no problem :)
VM

I'm keeping to £5 for a 1lb jar......clearly labelled "Balham Honey" but few people remember Peter Sellars

I'm keeping to £5 for a 1lb jar......clearly labelled "Balham Honey" but few people remember Peter Sellars

Not surprising, as he's dead more than 30 years.

You label it Balham honey. Is it off, dear?

I'm selling at £4 for 227g this year. There is so little about that people are paying it and I will run out soon.

Latest posts

Back