How Much is Your Honey?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Raceyboy - you will recall the local father and son I suggested you check out for nucs? Their honey is pretty cheap, about £3-£3.50 I think, and good - but the self same honey has been resold on a 3rd parties website for £70!!!!! Now back down to a bargain £12 I think, but it goes to show you can price it at whatever you want.

Wouldn't expect to sell too much at £70 mind.

Round here, (Notts Derbs boarder) honey sells for £3 to £4 for a 1lb jar. My local bee buddy sells for £3.00 with a .20p discount if the jar is returned. (cleaned of course)

Hi all,
£4.50 for a 12 oz hex jar. And i cant get it in the jars fast enough. Its a premium quality product dont under sell it

Marc

Round here, (Notts Derbs boarder) honey sells for £3 to £4 for a 1lb jar. My local bee buddy sells for £3.00 with a .20p discount if the jar is returned. (cleaned of course)

That sounds crazy 20p discount, thats nearly what a new jar costs with a lid, yes you say it is supplied back clean but you would still re-clean it for due diligence. I could understand it if the initial cost was £5 and therefore use the jar as a tool to get repeat custom but to sell jarred honey at £2.80/lb is :eek:

Well presented clean honey needs to be £5/lb retail to make the job worth while.

C B

Two years ago in Wales from a Bee Farmers shop it was £11-95 per pound for a basic squat pound jar.

My cut comb is on sale here in the business at 4-75 per half pound and is on a shop shelf at £6-62 priced by the shop.

Selling honey at £3-4 a pound is just plain silly. I was achieving more than that 10 years ago.

Have some faith in your product, and if that is all the money you want for it then sell it in bulk to someone who can market it at a sensible price. Otherwise all you are doing is dragging the market down.

PH

This is probably a silly question, but do you have to have to measure the water content % and take a lot of other stringent measures in order to sell honey? I just give my honey to family & friends, but was curious if I ever did decide to sell a few.

Two years ago in Wales from a Bee Farmers shop it was £11-95 per pound for a basic squat pound jar.

My cut comb is on sale here in the business at 4-75 per half pound and is on a shop shelf at £6-62 priced by the shop.

Selling honey at £3-4 a pound is just plain silly. I was achieving more than that 10 years ago.

Have some faith in your product, and if that is all the money you want for it then sell it in bulk to someone who can market it at a sensible price. Otherwise all you are doing is dragging the market down.

PH

:iagree:

When the likes of Tesco, Morrisons et al sell a jar of sweet Asian syrup called honey for a £1 and when honey is perceived to be "free" by some I'm sure they feel guilty/stupid asking more.

A few of us are covering a big local event this week end and I expect to charge at least £4.50 lb. We've been offered up to 500lb :eek:@ £2.50 lb any quantity in buckets by a local BK now should we take him up and make the association some dosh?

Russ

:iagree:

A lot of time and work goes into a lb of honey and the bees bust a gut to produce it, so charge the right £ for it...

Brian

PH

:iagree::iagree:

"beezy
do you have to have to measure the water content % and take a lot of other stringent measures in order to sell honey?"!

NO and you can label the jar how you like....forget all the crap from the Federal BBKA telling you to put metric weight in a bigger font than the Imperial equivalent!

Richard

Norfolk BKA were selling folks honey at the Royal Norfolk Show for £4.50 lb, they (NBKA) take 20% of that, so us sellers get £3.60 lb.

i've only had a very modest amount of honey off 1 hive so far, amounting to 20lb. It sold for £3.50 for 8oz hex jars, and demand outstripped supply threefold.

"beezy
do you have to have to measure the water content % and take a lot of other stringent measures in order to sell honey?"!

NO and you can label the jar how you like....forget all the crap from the Federal BBKA telling you to put metric weight in a bigger font than the Imperial equivalent!

Richard

Good luck when Trading Standards come knocking, they really are an exciting bunch to deal with, imagine the most geeky, fussy, anorak type person you can think of (the one in the pub who sits quietly in the corner only to but into conversations with 'well actually i think you'll find that....') and times that by 10 and you will get close to some of the people i have met from TS i'm sure there are some who are great folks but my word are they sticklers for the rules. Just nod and agreed and it goes alot smoother.

C B

£5/lb in response to posters at the office, etc. When I go door-to-door I ask £4.80 or £4.90 (depending on whether I have 10p or 20p coins for change in my pocket). It's just below the mental block fiver mark.

When pricing I compared the supermarket price and mine is cheaper per pound than all the premium English honeys in Tesco, whose pro-rata prices per lb (per 100g) are below:

Pure Organic Wild Flower £5.36/lb (£1.18/100g)
Tesco Finest English £6.04 (£1.33)
Rowse British £6.99 (£1.54)
Wilkins English £6.67 (£1.47)

When selling I found a lot of people thought that £5 was too much until I explained that it's cheaper per pound than in the supermarket.

In the 90mins I spent going door-to-door, about 50% of the doors opened, and 50% of those purchased. Only one person declined because of the price.

Smaller jars for me next year. I'll have to find some that look bigger than they are (e.g. wider than deep).

£4 per 12oz jar. The jar looks very similar in size to a lb jar and fits the mental image that the consumer expects.

Geetas mango pickle comes in hexagonal 12 oz jars and the labels come off well- cleanly and easily. Casserole of chicken with some mango chutney, optional mango juice and pieces of mango is a great meal with veg.
QED I think

10 12oz jars of honey and a caulifower equals one ready butchered and freezer ready Exmoor venison

Called the barter system...

and since the value of those lumps of metal that wear out pockets and devaluing bits of paper we all knew and trusted as money back in the last century and those deminishing numbers on the net we used to call invesments and pension funds,,, are all so worthless...
methinks the barter system is going to trump the lot.....
I feel so sorry for the bankers solicitors barristers and financial advisers.. what will they survive on... unless they take up allotmenteering and beekeeping

The world stopped spinning an I got off...............

Latzerts my friends!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back