how much honey from the heather?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoseCottage

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
From 5 to 2 and hopefully a better year
People take the bees to the heather...never done it myself ...
Is it worth it?
All the best,
Sam

They take them and take them another year after year, and again.......

So it must be worth it!

Some seasons might be duds but overall a nice little earner.

Must just be a cut/break even point on distance and number of hives. That would be different for everyone, would it not?

Regards, RAB

Some seasons might be duds but overall a nice little earner.

I would say I've had 2 good seasons out of about 8 going to the heather. Not an earner by any stretch but being unreasonably optimistic I can't stop going just in case I miss the bumper year.

Yes Chris, but that would still be colony number and distance related, wouldn't it?

For me taking two colonies from here, it would not be too cost effective unless it was a bumper year! How many do you take?

Regards, RAB

This year I took just 6. Last year about 40 but it was dire and 2 actually starved. 2003 was my best year taking 30 (virtually all my bees at the time) and an average of about 25lb, and I've never come close to matching that performance since. That's why I've stopped viewing it as a commercial venture - I do it because I'm a heather addict.

I think you need to have a close look at your site Chris.

Heather work is all very well but if the site is useless then the strongest colony is not going to succeed.

I would consider 20 lbs a very low average in my experience. I usually had at least a super per hive and a good few on 2. Full supers I mean. And mostly Langstroth at that. ;)

If you are not on a managed moor you are not on decent heather.

PH

Latest posts

Back