How much feed

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichieDug

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2 colonies
I am a new startrer, just got my first colony last Sunday... a nation brood box with 11 frames. To give more space I intend to add a half brood with new foundation, how much feed will they need as I understand to draw out new foundation they will use a lot of their stores. I am thinking of 1 to 1 ratio sugar/water syrup.

Bees have been active collecting from a flowering cheery tree which is in full blossom

I am in Cambridge weather and tempreture is up and down.

Any advice apprieciated

Richard

Is your colony so big at this time of year that you need more space already? How many frames of bees do you have and how many frames of brood?. Honestly at this time of year I would leave them alone for a while, but others on this forum are far more expert than me and will no doubt be along here shortly.

yes, 1:1 at this time of the year, and they do need help when they have wax to produce. but it is a balancing act as too much syrup can be stored in the area where the queen needs to lay.
I would put a couple of pints of syrup now then wait about 10 days and reassess. Give them chance to develop without swamping them.
But you will get differing views probably. Up to you to choose what you think for your conditions

Every good luck with your new colony- Oh by the way- you really need two colonies asap.....:D---- insurance

Just seen above post- yes all vary.. maybe a mentor here would be helpful - but I put a QE and a super on one of mine this week as the brood and the super above were rammed with bees with brood in both. We are a little ahead of your area remember...

Last edited:
Just seen above post- yes all vary.. maybe a mentor here would be helpful - but I put a QE and a super on one of mine this week as the brood and the super above were rammed with bees with brood in both. We are a little ahead of your area remember...[/QUOTE]

You're usually three to four weeks ahead judging from blossoming times. My daffs are not flowering yet!!

Put the foundation box under the brood box. Bee occupye it when they are ready for that.

Latest posts

Back