How much bakers fondant to leave on?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimy Dee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Hello all,
Got bakers fondant today. I am satisfied all the hives have plenty stores but just in case the bees need it in late winter/early spring I was thinking that the fondant is better on the hives than being stored in my home. I have never fed fondant previously.
Q1 - How much fondant is it recommended to put on a hive as a form of insurance against starvation?
Q2 - Is it better to put the fondant directly on top of the top bars of the frames or should I put it above the feed hole over/on top of the crown board?
All advise is welcome.
Regards, Jim.

Hello all,
Got bakers fondant today. I am satisfied all the hives have plenty stores but just in case the bees need it in late winter/early spring I was thinking that the fondant is better on the hives than being stored in my home. I have never fed fondant previously.
Q1 - How much fondant is it recommended to put on a hive as a form of insurance against starvation?
Q2 - Is it better to put the fondant directly on top of the top bars of the frames or should I put it above the feed hole over/on top of the crown board?
All advise is welcome.
Regards, Jim.

depends on the insulation level , size of colony, length of winter, how much ivy honey you left them, from 0 to 12Kg

Sorry Derek, dont have all the info you require. Very technical questions there. I do have a 4inch thick sheet of kingspan on top of each hive, duly sealed on top. I believe in insulation and i am NOT a fan of leaving the feed hole open to get rid of damp air ! Food coupled with insulation, an air tight top and an OMF is my goal for winter. Outside of this i cannot give any more specific info.

If your colonies have plenty of their own stores you would be better to heft/weigh the hives and only use the fondant in late winter/ early spring if and when they need it. Your fondant will keep quite happily in its original packaging until/if your bees need it ... or until next winter if your colonies prove to be self sufficient and spring comes before they need it.

Yes you do put it on the top of the frames but if you put it in now it can dry out over winter - the usual method is to put it in a poly bag or cling film and just slit the bottom of the pack a few times so they can get at it when they need it.

If your colonies have plenty of their own stores you would be better to heft/weigh the hives and only use the fondant in late winter/ early spring if and when they need it. Your fondant will keep quite happily in its original packaging until/if your bees need it ... or until next winter if your colonies prove to be self sufficient and spring comes before they need it.

Yes you do put it on the top of the frames but if you put it in now it can dry out over winter - the usual method is to put it in a poly bag or cling film and just slit the bottom of the pack a few times so they can get at it when they need it.

I don't use cling film. It allows air through and the fondant goes hard.....
E

Feeding Fondant

Hi Jimy Dee,

It's my first Autumn/Winter keeping bees and I have two colonies in P**nes polyhives. I was a bit concerned as to whether mine had enough stores and decided the 'belt and braces' approach by adding some fondant (perhaps earlier than what may be regarded as normal). I'd rather there be some food available to them than they run out in my first year. I'll keep an eye on things and if it does dry or there becomes any other issue it can always be changed - it's not that expensive when you compare the cost with other beekeeping items. Once I've gained a bit more confidence in judging the weight of my hives stores over the next few months I may change what I do in my second season. Without wanting to advertise any products sold by them I found some advice given online by 'The Ho*ey Pot' under the 'Feeding Bees' section.

Sorry Derek, dont have all the info you require. Very technical questions there. I do have a 4inch thick sheet of kingspan on top of each hive, duly sealed on top. I believe in insulation and i am NOT a fan of leaving the feed hole open to get rid of damp air ! Food coupled with insulation, an air tight top and an OMF is my goal for winter. Outside of this i cannot give any more specific info.

Totally non scientific approach heft your hive, somehow it works, if it feels light and not as it should be this time of year put a block on top of the frames, you can continue to do this all winter

Does it keep OK as I'm thinking of getting some in aswell justbto have it incase I need it. How much would be OK for 3 hives.

IMHO 1/3 to 1/2 a block, flattened, direct on top bars (in your apiguard eke, with a clear crown board on top, and kingspan on top of that

Great feed back, thanks to all who contributed

Commercials?

If the box was full, they should have plenty of stores at least until spring brooding is well underway. A full deep National box is regarded as generally sufficient in most years.

Commercials?

If the box was full, they should have plenty of stores at least until spring brooding is well underway. A full deep National box is regarded as generally sufficient in most years.

but the book says.........

Point taken but better too much than discover starvation in due course

Point taken but better too much than discover starvation in due course
Only on my third year but:
Those were my thoughts in my first winter. However so much depends on your local conditions and the conditions in the hive. A full super of honey and whatever is in the brood box may see you through to Christmas quite nicely. The weather is changing so much though, I think we all need to be aware that what went before may not suit in the future. I have been giving mine a Christmas present of a slice of fondant from a large commercial pack.
The fondant keeps well if left wrapped up in the plastic bag inside the cardboard box.
I give fondant earlier than most books say to because when it snows here it can stay for quite a while usually a fortnight or more and that might well mean getting into the hive is out of the question.I pop the fondant into a freezer bag and cut slits in the side that is laid next to the bars.
I keep an eye on the weather and if they are flying. Hefting is no go for me due to health.

Hi, my local apiary lays strips of fondant across the tops of the frames which i tried last year. It worked ok ish but when i tried to administer oxalic acid by dribbling it in the seams any remaining fondant had to be scraped off first. Bit messy, and awkward if bees are feeding on it so this year i will either leave in the bag with a few slits as already suggested or might try putting on QE over BB so its close to the frames/cluster but can be removed if needed. Or make a candy board like a number of americans do (on youtube).

A full super of honey and whatever is in the brood box may see you through to Christmas quite nicely.

I hope you jest. That is ridiculous. The brood box should be full in the autumn. That alone should get them well past Christmas! 20kg is the normal recommendation. A further 10kg should get them itno spring brooding. Of course, there are exceptions, but suggesting a brood box and super is only sufficient until Christmas is OTT.

Fondant

I to have 2 P!"£$s poly hives and the bees seem to be doing well. However I have used a super as an eke and inside on top of the crown board 50mm of kingspan. Fits nice and snug.
I have cut a rectangular hole over the centre hole in the crown board the size of the sandwich box and placed a cheap pound shop sandwich box with 1kg of fondant and a hole that marries up with the hole on the crown board.
The bees have consumed all the fondant in both hives and are now on their second lot. Easy to see when empty and easy to replace without breaking the seal on the crown board.
If this set up works I'll be pleased and the bees will be well fed.

Latest posts

Back