How much are you charging?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's always next year Lindy. I started late this year and I am hoping the four frames in the super will be capped soon so I'll have a little for myself.

Though a later starter I'm ending the season with three good sized colonies and telling myself next year will be the start of my Honey and bee empire. LOL

I have to admit that mine sells for considerably more once it crosses the channel to the UK. £4.50 for 250gms and £7.50 for 500 grms but then it's out of my hands then.......

....funny old world when a bit of water makes that much difference.

Chris

Hi Outlander,

Yes, roll on next year. Everyone has been saying what a terrible year it has been for a beginner. Well, my thoughts are - if we can manage without too much trouble this year, then next year must be better - surely?

We've started offering to visitors in the holiday cottage at £3.50 for 8oz, £4.50 for 12oz and £5.50 for 1lb, with 50p reduction per jar for orders of three or more.

This week we've sold 6 x 8oz jars, last week 1 x 8oz and 1 x 12oz.

Not enough to keep us in vintage claret, or even Rioja....

We hope they will prove popular presents with other visitors but suspect we'll end up with a lot of 1lb jars to shift.

wish i could get more but iff i put my prices up i wouldnt sell any £3. 50 a pound jar,, 6 people around here sell for between £3-00 and£3-50 local pet food place sells for £3-75 and i know the producer gets £2-75 A POUND JAR

Tesco are selling tiptrees english honey 340g at £4.99.

i wont be selling mine for less than this. If its ok for tescos then its ok for me.

As the food economy goes belly side up... we are bartering ours
To date...............

Leg of lamb.... one 12oz jar
Window cleaner ... 2 jars ( he even cleared the gutters and the facias!
That's cheap for a leg of lamb, I payed £7.00 last weekend well done

With regard to the comment about hexagonal jars being expensive to buy, p.y..s are half the price that t..rn.s are charging for the same tray of jars.

With regard to the comment about hexagonal jars being expensive to buy, p.y..s are half the price that t..rn.s are charging for the same tray of jars.

Check out w y n n e J o n e s. - they are usually competitive as well.

If you can find a bottler.. jams or what ever, then there is a good chance you could buy jars from there. I used to buy a pallet from that kind of outfit and obviously the price dropped a lot. Always worth an ask.

PH

This is my second season as a beekeeper, got 11 lb so far with another possible 8 lb from the same hive, I am selling my honey to people in work at £2.50 per 1/2 lb jar, my first two customers want 3 jars each but I want to try and offer it to as many people as possible as a taster for "hopefully" next years harvest. To be honest, I think £2.50 per 1/2 lb is easier to sell than £5 per 1 lb jar. I think I might get away with £4.50 per 1 lb at best.

Here on Walnut Allotments our 6 share (10 members-Don't ask) cooperative that threw in £110 quid per share is looking at at least 20lb each. We have gone from 1 to 4 hives, all got involved in the beekeeping; from sourcing materials to extraction, all enjoyed the experience, learned a great deal about beekeeping and we have a great community spirit.
cost of honey?
ours is priceless.:) NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL BEEKEEPING:hurray:

With regard to the comment about hexagonal jars being expensive to buy, p.y..s are half the price that t..rn.s are charging for the same tray of jars.[/

Thanks for tip.

Here on Walnut Allotments our 6 share (10 members-Don't ask) cooperative that threw in £110 quid per share is looking at at least 20lb each. We have gone from 1 to 4 hives, all got involved in the beekeeping; from sourcing materials to extraction, all enjoyed the experience, learned a great deal about beekeeping and we have a great community spirit.
cost of honey?
ours is priceless.:) NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL BEEKEEPING:hurray:

And have almost recouped all initial capital invested, No doubt there was some additional expenditure if you now have four hives, but getting others to muck in is a great idea.

wish i could get more but iff i put my prices up i wouldnt sell any £3. 50 a pound jar,, 6 people around here sell for between £3-00 and£3-50 local pet food place sells for £3-75 and i know the producer gets £2-75 A POUND JAR

Looks like you need to find another outlet.

Tesco are selling tiptrees english honey 340g at £4.99.

i wont be selling mine for less than this. If its ok for tescos then its ok for me.

Thats £6.66 a lb. It's only Essex honey, isn't it?

selling mine for £3.50 1/2 lb hex jar, nicely labelled with tamper strip etc.

For jars (and food grade buckets, csmetic tins etc) check out a companny called a m p u l l a on-line - their prices seem very resonable even for smaller quantities

This year, in Scotland, where the weather has been dreadful, I am charging £5.50 per 1lb. jar, an increase of 50p. on last year which all sold without demur. Last year heather cut-comb all sold out at £9.50 per 1lb. Beekeeping is hard work and very time consuming, and yields in the north of U.K. are small in comparison with yields in warm countries, often with a lower cost of living. We should charge a sensible price for all the work we and our bees are doing. Last year a lot of local honey was selling at over £6 in Tesco so I think at least £5 per 1lb, well presented, is reasonable.

I've had 60lb from my biggest colony (a nuc I bought in April).
I've sold all the honey in 1/2 pound jars for £5.
I've even had requests to post the honey...with delivery that's about £9 a jar!
Who knows what next year will bring!

Latest posts

Back