How much are you charging?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SunnyRaes

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 planned, in reality 7 + 1 nuc + 1 A/S into a commercial for a friend
How much are you charing for your honey, or what prices have you seen people charging locally?

Our understanding was that the going rate was around £3.50 per half pound jar, so that was our baseline price to work from. That sort of price would at least go some way to recouping costs, although for 50lb of honey from 3 hives, we've got a long way to go before we do!

There are a couple of hives at work, and the owner has been selling at £5 / lb, which is only slightly under our baseline and obviously makes the maths easier.

However someone else at work is selling theirs for £3 / lb, which I feel is utterly crazy, massively under priced, and cutting their nose (and ours!) off to spite their face! I guess selling at work isn't really an option any more thanks to that price!

Or am I massively overestimating honey prices?

I only had 22lb bot I am charging £3.50 for 3/4 lb jars must be to cheap as I only started selling it in my shop today and have sold 6 jars already

As the food economy goes belly side up... we are bartering ours
To date...............

Leg of lamb.... one 12oz jar
Window cleaner ... 2 jars ( he even cleared the gutters and the facias!

Locally its been as little as £3.25 a lb jar but that seems to of risen to £3.50 now although I think supply has run out. :hurray:
I am charging £4 a lb jar at work, friends, family and at the door, at shows its £5. Last week sold 50 jars to a shop at £4. ;)
Much more than that and people shy away from it. At a recent large one day show (20,000 + visitors) my association tried £6 up from £5 last year for a lb jar, last year sold out, this year took over half of it home !

Next year I am going to move to 12oz Hex jars at £4

Pete D

The OP states the classic dilemma neatly.

It's not new, go back 100 years, they are discussing it, and if the paper was there it will be 500 years ago too.

If someone is silly enough to sell at fire prices then they are either panicking they cannot shift it or it is rubbish to start with and they know it.

Have a wee word in the shell like and see where they are at?

PH

As the food economy goes belly side up... we are bartering ours
To date...............

This is exceptional!

I'm loving it :hurray:

Leg of Lamb for 12oz honey. That is one gooooood deal!!

I thought about selling in 120z hexagonal jars but the jars seemed very pricey which I was loathed to pay even if I recoup the money in the long run.

Can jars be cleaned and reused? I am sure somebody said this was not permitted but if they are washed thoroughly I cannot see why not.

Barter is good - at the moment getting labels and anti tamper seals professionally designed in exchange for a jar of honey :D , and have a deal involving a few bottles of elderflower wine:drool5:
As for selling - unsure as yet but probably 4 quid or so to shops for a 12 oz jar and 6 or 7 at the gate for 1 lb (still trying hard to dissuade SWMBO for selling it qt 10 pounds a pound :eek:- although she did sell all my stock for that price last year so maybe I'm being a bit daft trying to stop her!)

Leg of Lamb for 12oz honey. That is one gooooood deal!!

Except, just possibly, for the lamb itself ... :)

Dover Association was offering their apiary honey (a bit thin?) to any member wanting the odd jar at £3.50 (lb).
Canterbury were advising members to standardise on £5.50 (lb jar) being sold from the Association stand at recent promo/pr events.

If only we could get some nationally agreed rate, a vain hope I know.

Nice to see that the spirit of open competition isn't dead and buried in the UK.:D

If someone is silly enough to sell at fire prices then they are either panicking they cannot shift it or it is rubbish to start with and they know it.

Perhaps they think it's a fair price, I sell at less than the supermarket prices and as you know mine isn't rubbish.

Chris

£4 a half if they buy a crate of 24. They sell at £7.50.

Not sure what to do about selling the odd jar off the association stall, etc. Maybe I'll start at £5 a half and see if it sells.

Possibly they need educated, and no I know not a lot about French practise.

PH

Mine goes to shops at £3.25 a lb. This gives the shops a chance to make a reasonable margin but is still affordable for the public.
Quality, presentation and reliability of supply is really important!

Peter

Last edited:
1/4lb - £2
1/2 lb - £3
3/4lb - £4.50
1lb - £5.50

seems to sell well, not too pricey to put people off

My yields are small this year. Most people in London have had lower yields. Most of my costs are fixed, so price goes up because the market will pay it. I guess the fact that they pay it means they think it is worth it.

Wish we had enough honey to sell !! :(

Mine sells for £4.00 per 1lb, although the local garden who often have 30 to 60 jars at a time then sell it on for £5.99.

I charge £4.50 per 12oz hexagonal jar. If you can't sell it for this or more you need to change your selling technique.

Latest posts

Back