How many times and how long

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bees aloud

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Ive just been in my hive two weeks after recieving a small cast.i can see capped brood, larve eggs not the queen but she is there some where but how many times would i check once a week for about 30 mins, i think is long enough. Does any body go in more that this. I dont want to disturb them to much but im so intrested at looking at them i can't wait any longer than i have to.:hurray:

once a week is fine, and as quick as you can, whilst still being thorough.

Welcome.

Once a week is fine.

30 mins is a bit long but you have just started and need to find out all you can :)

Sounds like its all going well, enjoy it. :)

Get yourself a tick sheet for inspections. Tick and close up. 30 minutes will (or should) shortly be reduced to just a few minutes.

Once a fortnight is likely more than enough as they are unlikely to swarm - as long as you keep increasing their space ahead of time. Increasing the space may not require an inspection (or at least nothing more than the outside combs).

Every time you disturb them you are setting them back a bit, and risking attention from wasps at this time of the year. As long as they are healthy, let them get on with expanding as much as they can.

Lots of people go in more often than that. Or should I say too many do. Likely not very productive for the bees and of no real benefit to the beekeeper either!

Savour them from outside the hive - a much better way to appreciate them - while letting them get on with the job. I know the temptation is there but resist going in too often, pleeeease!

Regards, RAB

Thank you it is really nice to get advice back so fast thanks to you all

Latest posts

Back