How many of you use a operating sistem based on linux?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julian Cov

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
How many of you use a operating sistem based on linux?

Did you now that Linux is a free and in the same time legal operating sistem .

There are many distributions that you can use, ia prefer the one based on Debian and Ubuntu .

You cand even modify them for your one use, and include your preferd aplications .

I do, and have done so for over 5 years - at present, Linux Mint on rverything!

I have been using linux for 3 years, the first one was Ubuntu, then Kiwi Linux ( a romanian distro based on ubuntu ) then Linux Mint.

Now i've made my own personalised distro ( based on ubuntu ) and i am very happy with it .

I called them after the desktop environment .

Gdesktop Remix 10.04 ( based on Gnome )
Kdesktop Remix 10.04 ( based on KDE )
Xdesktop Remix 10.04 ( based on Xfce )
Ldesktop Remix 10.04 ( based on LXDE )
Gnotebook Remix 10.04 ( based on Ubuntu notebook )
Knotebook Remix 10.04 ( based on Kubuntu notebook )

Last edited:
If I never a seen another lin distro again it'll be too soon.

Mint works fine, but there's not a lot of point trying to run Windoze programmes, or bemoaning their absence. At first, it's a bit like landing in a foreign country - you'll need Libre Office instead of "Word", the GIMP instead of photoshop, Amarok instead of Winamp, Qbittorrent instead of Vuze (etc) - what you will gain is a much faster computer that doesn't suffer from crashes, viruses and trojans. A good way to "dip your toe in the water" is to burn a dvd with it on, and then partition your hard-drive leaving the old Windoze install intact, with Mint "alongside" (all really simple point and click stuff following the prompts on the dvd) - you can them choose either on boot up. I started that way, found I only wanted Windoze on half a dozen occasions, and now run machines with only Mint on them

Qbittorrent instead of Vuze (etc) -

You can use Vuze on Linux mint and ubuntu its available on synaptic or softwere center .

These aplications are availeble on Linux Mint& Ubuntu .

Bitdefender antivirus scaner for free( not the firewal ) .
Avast antivirus
Esset antivirus ( scaner and firewal )
VLC
Nero
gtalk
opera
firefox
thunderbird mail
Fillezila
team viewr
Adobe reader
Picasa
need Libre Office instead of "Word"

You can use word just fine in Linux Ubuntu or Mint with the help an a emulator . ( wine or Cros Over )

I use office 2003 and office 2007 ( office 2010 dont work )

You CAN use specifically Windoze programmes if you really must, by use of emulators etc., but I think it's rather "missing the point" of Linux - certainly there are many programmes that have been properly "ported" like Firefox and Thunderbird, but there's no point in using Adobe reader as there are perfectly good linux alternatives

can it be run on a mac?

Is there a linux alternative to Audacity or would it run on Linux anyway ?.

and what about about a simple free "movie maker" style video editor ?

Audacity has a linux version (available from the inbuilt "software centre", which this morning is showing 36,429 available free packages) - 2 or 3 clicks and it's installed.
For a simple video editor I use "Openshot" which is brilliant, but there are many others available too

You are so funny Bob Bee. Audacity not only has a Linux version, but it was a Linux program that was written to be cross platform. The fact that it is often seen as the audio editing program of choice by many speaks large of it's qualities.

I'm a SUSE Linux user and have been since 2004 and used Unix/Solaris/SunOS prior to that.

A significant number of programs written for Windows are taking the trouble to follow the rules in order to make them WINE friendly, allowing them to be run in a Linux environment without actually having to make the products cross platform.

Electrical Engineers running RS Component's DesignSpark tool appear to predominantly run Linux by choice and run DesignSpark under WINE. If you have an enterprise software application that you have written and are at the whim of MS whether you will have to redevelop your product to run under their next greatest release, then it makes sense to follow some guidelines and have it able to run under WINE as a second string to your bow. I believe VALVE/STEAM have gone to Linux and their developers have remarked that it is an easier environment to work in, which came as a bit of a surprise to them.

Hedgerow Pete, the Linux application that you are wanting is obviously CURSES or NCURSES :) a tool for developing GUI environments under BSD from the 1980s.

Last edited:
Is there a linux alternative to Audacity or would it run on Linux anyway ?.

Audacity exists on linux ( ubuntu ) aplications list .

MhWavedith is audio edit aplication found on Linux ( ubuntu )

There are linux distro made special for edit of audio and video that contain a lot of aplications for that porpuse .

Ubuntu studio
Artistix
Tango studio
AVlinux

It's just an operating system. Most normal people don't "use" operating systems, they use applications. With cheap virtualisation it doesn't really matter anyway. You can run Linux in Windows or Windows in Linux.

But you can run Mint for free, and not donate money to the odious Gates for his execrable software.........

So what? You can turn a drill for free, but loads of people choose to pay DeWalt for a cordless drill to do it for them. If you have an application that needs Brand X operating system, then use it. If you get paid for what you do with that application, then the cost of the Operating system is probably trivial. If all you want is a bit of web browsing, then if you have the right hardware, you don't need an additional OS at all.

This whole Micro$oft/Gates/Penguin stuff is so 90s. The world has moved on.

Many people just want a computer for simple tasks - browsing, email, digital pics, perhaps burning the odd cd, and they can do that using linux in one of it's many forms, and it can revivify an old Windoze machine that's ground to a near halt by dint of being far faster and safer - I'm amazed that people still spend good money on the Windoze o/s, and I suspect the main reason is the stranglehold they have over many major manufacturers - thankfully there are now many alternatives, but something like Mint is a very good place for people to start on other ways of computing, without spending unnecessarily, and without getting baffled with emulators and the like...

what windows had was consistency in the UI which linux didnt... Now Windows and windows apps UI are a hotch potch that keeps changing.
Used both developed on both... When I finally give up on Windows XP it will probably be to Linux and Android.

Latest posts

Back