How many jars

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveselvage

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have one colony with four supers capped and one with one super capped,i added supers of foundation to each of them yesterday so may end up with seven national supers full.
How many 1lb jars will i need?

About five 10 litre food-grade plastic buckets and lids should be more than enough.

Regards, RAB

I think they sell them by the gross - thats 144 jars.
As Heather said I would think one box should sort it.

I answered the way I did because, IMO, that is the way to go. Easily get 14kg (30lbs) in a bucket; batches can be kept separate if required; you WILL know how many jars you are likely to require; any honey which may be 'suspect', for any reason, can be kept separate and/or fed back to the bees if necessary; one always needs a buffer if supplying a demand on a regular basis and by 'the bucket' is a good way; warming a bucket of honey is easy if/when it crystallises; winter has to be negotiated, colonies may be lost, next season may be less good than this, even to the point of little or no crop.

Just a few reasons why I store my honey in buckets, before bottling. The primary reason is, therefore, I do not need to know how many jars - until all the chickens are hatched and counted, so as to speak. We have to remember that beekeeping is a practical hobby (or sometimes livelihood) and the theory certainly doesn't always match exactly.

If, as Admin says, bottles are sold by the gross, you will need to buy 2 gross; otherwise you may be 2 jars short! I think that adequately demonstrates the futility of trying to predict with any accuracy, the outcome - some months ahead of the result.

Regards, RAB

Just buy a couple of boxes (2 x gross =288 jars)!

Did you google it or check your books first?:beatdeadhorse5::lurk5:

No need to Jim,thats what the forum is for,asking questions and getting advice.

Often books only give one answer or one way of doing things(sometimes outdated) while the forum can give many answers in how to do something.

As a rule of thumb a well filled Nat super should yield 30lbs of honey and a Lang some 40lb.

Roughly and that is assuming (fatal word) that ALL the combs are full.

PH

Between 20 to 30 lbs for a national 10 frame super, but as stated get it off into tubs first that way you know its not crystallized in the comb.
I remove two supers yesterday, both looked ok at a quick glance, UMMM, but one was two thirds crystallized.
They must had some rape stacked away in the brood box, and lifted it when they needed the room. :banghead:

Rich

I extracted 4 nat supers a fortnight ago - 11 frames each, all sealed - filled 115 1lb jars.

I think they sell them by the gross - thats 144 jars.

Our local supplier doesn't, it varies by jar size, the smaller the jar the larger the unit of sale. For 12oz ones for instance it's 84 per tray, but lids are (were?) supplied in 100's :)

Been getting quotes for jars & lids- best one so far is Bottle Company South Ltd in Bristol. Down to 17p per jar:sifone: Am ordering 2233 though (odd number on a pallet!)

With regards to googling questions, I would prefer to ask on here first. You can't always trust the advice you get online, but the keepers on here really know their stuff :)

I would rather ask here than take a chance on the results that google produce.

Kazmcc? I find that with this site so high up the Google rankings that sometimes it is easier to google the question and find that the appropiate thread comes up in Google.

Faster than using the sites search which can be a bit odd.

Just a tip.

PH

I never thought of that :) You are right, when I looked up bee keeping, this was the top result. I signed up and haven't looked anywhere else :) I have made a few friends here in the short time I have been a member, so I think I will ask them from now on. They will know my situation and know the questions I've already asked. I respect them already and although I don't really know them, they have been kind enough to share their story with me. One friend said it was a pleasure to guide someone through from scratch and watch their confidence grow. I know it must be annoying for some people to answer the same question time and again, especially when it is a beginner question, but in my experience everyone has been really happy to explain things to me, and my questions are particularly daft ;)

Latest posts

Back