How many generations of beek's in family ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ade'sBee's

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all , Out of interest how did you start the craft? Did anyone in your family pass it down or are you the first ? Im the only one but i'm odd anyway :party:

I'm the first too but my son and grandson are showing an interest so who knows, :biggrinjester:

My grandfather used to keep bees and, since starting out last year, I've discovered my father used to help him look after them too.

I guess I'm the 3rd generation. I'll ask my father if HIS grandfather also kept bees . . .

FG

There have been beekeepers in my family for the last 504 hours.

Ian

My G grandfather kept them and dad learned off him (not sure why his dad didn't!) and i have been helping dad since i was 10. wish I'd paid more attention though, this is my first year 'solo' and there are all sorts of things that i haven't got a clue about! Luckily dad is on the other end of the phone, but i think that he is getting a bit bored of my calls and the replies to my 'ooh, i think the queen is dead' and 'i reckon they are about to swarm, what shall i do' are normally, 'well, they'll do what they do', which is pretty sound advice i reckon!

I like the sound of your dad Lambo, he sounds like mine. BTW, I am the first in my family to get the bee bug, but I think my dad is catching it from me, so it could go in reverse (he's 84).

Im the first but i have two grandsons that like to help, in fact the four year old is absolutely addicted despite being stung and the fact that he doesnt like honey.
He has given me strict instructions not to extract the honey until he is with us for a week in the summer.

I am the first, however, one of our teachers back in my school days kept bee's at the school and was always trying to get pupils interested, i went along once! i wish i had become more involved then!

2nd Generation Beekeeper with niece(age 6) and 2 nephews(ages 3+9) already interested.

I initially helped with the delivery of my Father's 1st hive of bees, as it was a surprise present for him. Unfortinately my initial experience ended there until my father passed away many years later. After that one of his hives decided to swarm and I just felt I had to attempt to capture the swarm and then hive it!

That was 2years ago and I am now a totally addicted beek!

I like the sound of your dad Lambo, he sounds like mine. BTW, I am the first in my family to get the bee bug, but I think my dad is catching it from me, so it could go in reverse (he's 84).

When I told my Dad that I was getting some bees he said, 'can I get some' so we did our training together and share books and we ow have a growing colony each. He's only 100yds away so we do our inspections together.

He's 84 next month.

Ian

My great grandfather used to keep bees but he had stopped long before I came along. None of my grandparents have had anything to do with bees, but mum and dad are showing alot of interest in mine.

I got interested through a teacher at our primary school. We had a WBC in the corner of the school grounds and an observation hive by the library. This was about 18 years ago and I got my first bees last year!

Si.

it was all my wifes idea. she did a one day course a couple of years ago but rightly decided one day is nowhere near enough learning. things happen and time passes but last year decided to make time for ourselves and started going earlier this year to essex bka. its been great, now got a hive set up and am getting bees real soon. so we are both first generation, dont know if our kids will be to interested as it doesnt involve an xbox or ipod

Second generation, and my children are now also involved.

There is no beekeepers that i can know of in my ancestry, so i guess i'm a first generation beekeper but i'd like to get my daughter involved when she's old enough( She's only 7 months old) and any kids i might have in the future... Here's hoping...

My mother used to keep bees but she past 23 years ago and I wish I'd paid more attention. I have her smoker and an old veil of hers and I did have a hive tool but I lost it and thats about all she handed down apart from an incredible nostalgic feeling I get whenever I smell the combination of cedar and beeswax.

No generations of beekeeprs in my family yet (I still make too many c*ck-ups to qualify!)

I suppose you could call me second generation as dad started it in about 1990 i remember having a tiny bee suit, i could have only been 9 yrs old.
After a little family upheavel and about 18 yrs im happy to say it is an intrest we have both taken the hobby up together again. It is an excuse to spend time together, although after recently having my second daughter and eldest is 19 months i find it difficult to keep up with his keenness.

I know he will read this and would love to take the oppertunaty to thank him (he knows Who he is lol)

m

Only me all on my lonely lonesome:( The rest of my family think I'm nuts.

Come to think of it so do most of my friends:biggrinjester:

My mother used to keep bees but she past 23 years ago and I wish I'd paid more attention. I have her smoker and an old veil of hers ....

I know he will read this and would love to take the oppertunaty to thank him (he knows Who he is lol)

m

Some lovely posts on this thread.

I hope (and I'm very sure) that you'll all do them proud.

My great grandfather used to keep bees (I didn't know until my mother mentioned it the other day - she's been working on the 'family tree project' for years!).

Back