How many apiaries in your neck of the woods?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
40 within 10Km, but then, almost half of that radius is North Sea ( not a lot of beekeeping at sea)

136 within 10k of me, sounds a lot :eek:

Just a lowly 23 for me but I am right on the coast & most of the area covered will be Irish Sea & Morecambe Bay.

Hi vm and chalky 69 and 90 in Wigan were are they hiding as soon as I get an out apiary you can add 1 more just shy when it comes to asking a stranger if I can keep bees on their land is there an easy way to ask that doesn't sound cheeky

182 within 10k but, does that include Isle of Wight as I'm in Southampton?

Hi vm and chalky 69 and 90 in Wigan were are they hiding as soon as I get an out apiary you can add 1 more just shy when it comes to asking a stranger if I can keep bees on their land is there an easy way to ask that doesn't sound cheeky

Hi Phayze,
I only know of 2 beeks personaly in my neck of the woods, as for the others not a clue where they are.
I'm looking for an out apiary for my bees at the moment as i've just learned that my allotment committee are considering putting some hives on of there own and another beek has just put six more on :willy_nilly:.
I believe that there is an apiary just of the east lancs near penny flash and that the beekeeper doesn't do swarm control :eek:.

Thanks chalkie I will have a look around the area at the weekend perhaps they'll let me set up a hive or two it's amazing how quick 1 turns into 2 or 3 hives and you run out of room

When you decide to ask someone if you can keep bees on their land, use the plight of the bee as reason for expanding your hives, if their plot is suitable and they like bees your on a winner. I was called to collect a swarm from a golf course a couple of years back, and when i left the groundsman/caretaker asked if I would come back and place a couple of hives on the edge of a wooded area at the course. So think out of the box for locations.

Amazed to find the answer is 161 Obviously know some of them and it may include one association apiary

Tricia

Beebase tells there are none near me. Do I get a prize?

Well it actually says Unknown.

Last edited:
Hard luck Dishmop - a prize for confusing Beebase maybe...only bees in Norwich...nah...unless you're in a very unusual location?! ;)

Perhaps they're being secretive and dont want me to know. Unknown within 10km it says.

Last edited:
44 within 10km but I also know of at least 2 beekeepers who aren't registered with Beebase (I have encouraged them to do so)
Disease within 5km although mine were inspected recently and are Disease free
This is in an upland rural area with a few villages dotted around (No OSR in area though)
So it begs the question is there enough forage to support the number of colonies?

Latest posts

Back