How long does it take to become completely broodless like this?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CliffDale

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Your comments will be greatly appreciated. Its not very clear in the video but the brood is now half full with honey and food stores.

How long does it take to get like this in the hive? No need to watch all video as each frame has no brood.

This hive was recently sold to me as a marked and laying queen!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0H3crH0ffE

21 days for the workers and 24 for all the drone.

I would pop in a test frame to see what happens.

Darren.

The answer is three weeks form last egg laid :)

John Wilkinson

And an extra 3 for the last drones :smash::smash::smash:.

John Wilkinson

Your comments will be greatly appreciated. Its not very clear in the video but the brood is now half full with honey and food stores.

How long does it take to get like this in the hive? No need to watch all video as each frame has no brood.

Worker from egg to emerging is 21 days
Drone from egg to emerging is 24 days
Queen from egg to emerging is 14 days plus 2 days to harden then anything from a week to three weeks before you should see signs of newly laid eggs.
These numbers can vary a little but generally considered average for most regions.

So the answer is over 24 days.

If you have a marked queen in there I'll be surprised. :angelsad2:

Queen from egg to emerging is 14 days plus 2 days to harden then anything from a week to three weeks before you should see signs of newly laid eggs.
:

what does the Harden mean? sorry newbee question!!:)

When the queen emerges she is very soft and leathery and her wings need to be expanded by pumping fluid into the veins. Once she has hardened she will fly off to mate on warm to hot days on average for a week or two.

Last edited:

Would be interested to know who sold the hive (PM me)? I am also in Cornwall and have been helping a very new Beek who bought a similar hive which has been slowly dwindling to next to nothing. We recently put a frame of eggs and brood into the hive and they drew queen cells pretty quickly. Hopefully the hive can be saved
Cheers
Stiffy

CliffDale - Can I ask how much you paid for the bees and how long you've had it?

I'm guessing you bought it unseen or when the frames still had sealed brood in them and it looked ok at a casual glance or quick inspection. ?

two things i would say.. did you look at the frames for eggs?? as the queen can be killed/damaged in transit. Also the state of the comb ( black) i would never sell anyone a nuc with old black comb?

A few points.

I was told that the hive was checked through the week before I picked up.

If the queen was killed in transit, surly the bees would have made some q cells. There would also be brood in the box.

I live in St Austell.

I will write more and send the pms later, I am between jobs at the moment.

If anyone sells a nuc in this kinda condition they are nothing short of shisters (if thats how you spell it).

Makes my blood boil.

I would also be interested to know where it came from (not me by the way)

Stephen.

Damn it, I meant to say live not love.
But nice to see that you love Looe tonybloke! It's my nearest town really.
Absolute manic in the summer.

Hope you get this sorted out cliff dale......

Queen could have been marked and laying in a different location, eg mininuc. If placed with entirely sealed, or advanced brood then it would go completely broodless much quicker than the 21 days, assuming that she was killed/damaged shortly after introduction.

I havent seen the video clip, so cannot comment on the combs, nuc etc, just proposing a way that the nuc could have gone broodless quickly.

Queen could have been marked and laying in a different location, eg mininuc. If placed with entirely sealed, or advanced brood then it would go completely broodless much quicker than the 21 days, assuming that she was killed/damaged shortly after introduction.

I havent seen the video clip, so cannot comment on the combs, nuc etc, just proposing a way that the nuc could have gone broodless quickly.

No, this was a colony brought on from a 5 frame nuc last year. The colony was wintered and was sold as 'building'.

It is a strong colony covering the 11 frames but queenless and no brood.

How it got to this state im not sure.

Cliff

Latest posts

Back