How long does fondant last in storage?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
It's time to think about ordering fondant for winter feed - just had the the email from my BKA.
Fondant is sold with a BBE date. Is there a scientific (HMF etc), or microbiological reason to pay attention to this, before feeding it to bees? Of course it would be stored away from direct heat, in the dry, with measures taken to discourage rodents and other nibblers.
My inclination is that it will be fine, but am interested to see if I am missing something, and it really isn't fine.
As a supplementary what about invert?
Thanks.
John

Fondant is sold with a BBE date. Is there a scientific (HMF etc), or microbiological reason to pay attention to this, before feeding it to bees?
No, it's sugar, it lasts forever, I was using fondant last winter that I bought five or more years ago, as you can guess I don't use much fondant - it's only there for emergencies and only about seven hives had any.

Fondant is sold with a BBE date.

As someone who has a small (on the side) food production/retail business, BBE = Best Before End, meaning it is quite safe to eat well after that date, it just might not taste as good or maybe be as 'shiny' as it should be (if you are a baker) - think of chocolate that has bloomed etc, same thing (although bloomed chocolate usually means it's been exposed to humidity at some point, but you see what I mean?)

Any foodstuff with a BBE is safe to eat well after that date, it is food with a Use By date that needs to be adhered to.

You tend to get pools and dry areas, I just squidge it all together until it feels right. The last stuff I used was about three years after BBE and bought some last year that hasn't been used, I will probably be using it for the next few years.

Latest posts

Back