How long can we keep opened Fondant in the Hive?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john1

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi,
I left a bag of Ambrosia fondant 2 months ago in the hive (around Christmas time) - Ambrosia Fondant, per 2.5kg (inc. carriage to England, Wales & S. Scotland) .

I opened the hive to see whether the bees finished consuming it.

More than half is finished. It is 2 months over after opening it.
Should I replace it with a new one? Please see the attached image.

Thanks

Attachments

• bees2.jpg
    bees2.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 17
  • bees1.jpg
    bees1.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 18
At that price? Leave it in there for Pete's sake ;)

Seriously though - you can see the bees are still eating it, so it clearly hasn't gone so hard that it's no use to them (if that even ever happens). So, no problem.

At that price? Leave it in there for Pete's sake ;)

Seriously though - you can see the bees are still eating it, so it clearly hasn't gone so hard that it's no use to them (if that even ever happens). So, no problem.

shouldn’t go hard in the hive with the heat rising from the colony below it should stay soft. I used some part bags this year that were taken off hives at the end of last winter. I wrapped them in clingfilm and left in a box in the garage. They set like bricks so This year I just put them on the. Pickup dashboard with heater on as I drove to my out apiary. When I got there it had softened up and the bees had no problem using it

shouldn’t go hard in the hive with the heat rising from the colony below it should stay soft. I used some part bags this year that were taken off hives at the end of last winter. I wrapped them in clingfilm and left in a box in the garage. They set like bricks so This year I just put them on the. Pickup dashboard with heater on as I drove to my out apiary. When I got there it had softened up and the bees had no problem using it

Yep. Fondant has such a high sugar content that (stored properly as you did) it's pretty much eternal and can be softened up when needed. I've got several boxes in the garage unused that are still as soft as when delivered 8 months ago.

Latest posts

Back