How late would you do splits?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a wee bit further south than you beebe - for me any split/nuc after the solstice is given a ready-mated queen; otherwise with weather being so dodgy a home reared from scratch one might not be strong enough by the time rougher weather sets in. Luckily wasps are not a really big issue here (tempting fate ).

I'm a wee bit further south than you beebe - for me any split/nuc after the solstice is given a ready-mated queen; otherwise with weather being so dodgy a home reared from scratch one might not be strong enough by the time rougher weather sets in. Luckily wasps are not a really big issue here (tempting fate ).

Ta for that. After yours and the other nice (and some nippy ;) ) advice, any split beyond now, if available, will be headed by a queen from our elusive, local supplier. :)

Thank-you for telling me what I already know and which I referenced in my opening comment.

Pointing out that I am an "inexperienced keeper of bees", (I'm actually a beekeeper, just like you), is superfluous when this posting is in the "Beginners Section".

I'm a relatively new beekeeper with few colonies and missed the boat both to learn the skills of queen rearing and to put them into practise for this season. Maybe it's a part of beekeeping I will choose to leave to clever people such as you?

You clearly know everything about beekeeping and unlike people such as me, you "think" before you do things. Being "plain stupid", I am also someone who is prepared to take risks and to experiment. This forum is usually very helpful in giving me information which reduces the risk factor in any dabblings I may do. You obviously don't have any of those awful emergency queens raised from splits, but my two mongrels from this season are functioning well and helping in their creation has given me a lot of satisfaction and pleasure.

Beekeeping is such a wonderful and positive pastime for me and I have had interactions with some lovely fellow beekeepers; it's such a shame that as in all aspects of life, there also have to be a few pompous, superior and negative individuals. I am aware from previous postings that you are revered for your knowledge and experience by some people in this community and consequently your supercilious and derogatory attitude is excused. However, there are many other, very experienced beekeepers who are also prepared to share their knowledge and can do so without needing to diminish the efforts and aspirations of others; they are the ones I will listen to. :)
Whilst RAB's bedside manner is occasionally a little to the point - you should take heed of what he says - he's a time served beekeeper with a vast amount of knowledge and common sense - you may not like the way he tells it but it's excellent advice.

Whilst RAB's bedside manner is occasionally a little to the point - you should take heed of what he says - he's a time served beekeeper with a vast amount of knowledge and common sense - you may not like the way he tells it but it's excellent advice.

So I've heard before, but tugging my forelock to my "betters" stopped long before I no longer had a forelock on which to tug. 👨‍🦲

Additionally, I don't think he's correct in having such a low opinion of "emergency" queens; but that's a whole new subject for debate which I'll maybe raise sometime, when the forum's exasperation levels drop too low. ;)

So I've heard before, but tugging my forelock to my "betters" stopped long before I no longer had a forelock on which to tug. 👨‍🦲

Additionally, I don't think he's correct in having such a low opinion of "emergency" queens; but that's a whole new subject for debate which I'll maybe raise sometime, when the forum's exasperation levels drop too low. ;)
I'm not suggesting there is any sort of hierarchy on here or that you should show deference to members who are clearly of some experience - I was merely pointing out that RAB's advice is inevitably good advice (compared to some on here who think they know and proffer advice that is duff) and is worth taking on board. I'm all for experimentation and certainly my beekeeping is often well outside the boundaries of 'conventional' but ... if you want an easy(ier) life from your beekeeping it's worth taking on board that offered by the likes of RAB ... you won't go far wrong with it.

Be offended by all means but it doesn’t alter the accuracy of the advice.

It's not possible for me to be offended by someone who I don't know, embellishing accurate advice with snotty comments spread scattergun fashion. But I'm a little surprised that two Moderators should think that such a tough-talking and presumably quite resilient gentleman deserves their personal support.

Walkaway splits make emergency queencells - the name says it all. Yes they may be fine in some cases but it shouldn't really be the plan. There are better ways.

I seem to have a cracking (though ugly) queen from my recent walk away.
So her previous, rather leperous, pigmentation now generally darkened - still a bit patchy. Is it commmon that new queens darken in their first few weeks?
Neil

Latest posts

Back