How hot is too hot?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HelenHP16

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
We are planning to attend a local show next Saturday to sell honey and to talk to people about bees. The star of the show is usually the observation hive but I’m seeing forecast of temperatures over 35. Whilst I’m hoping that this might be a daily Star “phew what a scorcher” headline what sort of temp would be too hot to take the bees? They will have shade and water but want to make sure they will be ok.

never liked seeing bees in observation hives at this time of year - actually seem them totally stressed out and falling off the comb on a hot spring day.
More than once I've seen the observation hive at the Royal Welsh having to be covered up then taken home by lunchtime.
I'd say any kind of weather like we're having at the moment, leave them in the hive.

Only been asked to do it once by my old BKA ...... never again! To pull a hive apart, or nuc, put a Q + Bee's in a very hot artificial environment just doesn't sit well with me.

Metal roof with no insulation and a solid floor just in an apiary can become an oven
yes, but they have an entrance to enable them to circulate the air to cool down.
I've seen bees getting quickly distressed in an observation hive in cooler weather than we're getting at the moment.

Latest posts

Back